Poultice 104 not healing severe wounds

Skjotur

Poultice 104 not healing severe wounds

Post by Skjotur »

I reported this a little while ago and wanted to make sure I wasn't assuming incorrectly. Poultice 104 should be able to heal severe wounds, right? It seems to heal all other wounds fine and fairly quickly, but if it's severe, it never heals. I'm fine if wounds of that severity require professional attention from an infirmary or monk, I just wanted to clarify.
Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and numbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear the coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me - I am happy.
-Hamlin Garland
Rithiel

Post by Rithiel »

It actually doesn't heal the worst wounds, which means I should probably figure out what we use as adjectives and make sure the little description works.
A cheerful jingle intones, "Rithenschmirtz Evil Incorporateeeed!"
[OOC - Candy Mountain, Spearhead]: usually when they're snarky, it's Rithiel
Vertebrate

Re: Poultice 104 not healing severe wounds

Post by Vertebrate »

Today I found out the hard way that a 104 doesn't heal severe wounds, but then I tried a 102 and that only reduced it to "bad". So it went from a -6 bleeder to a -5 bleeder with a 102. Is this a bug? 102 usually heals bleeders to moderate. And I also find it odd that the only poultice that heals moderate wounds is 104. 104s cost me the most riln from my provider.

What is the philosophy/intent of the poultice system? Has it been updated to keep up with the infirmaries? Has it been closely looked at all, lately? Does anyone really use it? The market and economics of poultice making (and herbalism) just seems defunct.
Dactor
Elystole

Post by Elystole »

I use poultices extensively. You'll almost never see Elystole call for healing because he slaps a bandage on everything.

I use poultice 104 for moderate or bad wounds. I make a lot of this poultice at once and color-code the bandages so that I can just 'get red bandage' in a pinch. It works quickly too.

I use poultice 102 for severe wounds. It doesn't work quickly, but it's the only thing that heals severe wounds, so I usually follow it up with a 104. I use black bandages for 102.

I try to keep from getting that injured in the first place by bandaging my scrapes and light wounds with untreated bandages every chance I get.
You overhear the following rumor:
"I saw one of those Shadgard folk come barging into Grif's and shoot one of the patrons on the spot. Shadgard must be a pretty rough place with such outlaws running rampant."
Vertebrate

Post by Vertebrate »

Great response. What do. You think aout the economics of poultices and healing? It seems very strange to me. What takes hours and miles upon miles to forage for an herbalist is sold for 10 to 40 riln at the infirmary. Do you think something is weird here? What ways do you think herbalism and first aid can change to improve Clok?
Dactor
Elystole

Post by Elystole »

Vertebrate wrote:Great response. What do. You think aout the economics of poultices and healing? It seems very strange to me. What takes hours and miles upon miles to forage for an herbalist is sold for 10 to 40 riln at the infirmary. Do you think something is weird here? What ways do you think herbalism and first aid can change to improve Clok?
You're not going to get the full value of the herbs if you sell them to the market or even the infirmary. They don't value them much more than any other foragable that you can pick up outside and, numerically, healings herbs are pretty plentiful. You'd make the same amount of riln just strip-foraging the wilderness right outside of town. If you want to make money selling healing herbs, sell them to a PC. I was making a ridiculous amount of riln for a while when a few PCs posted on the town boards that they were buying healing herbs. I was selling them packages full of 100 comfrey at 50 riln a piece.

First Aid is pretty nice once you get more ranks in it, and it is an easy skill to train. Just put 50-100 untreated bandages in your backpack and bandage yourself when you get scraped. I get a lot of two-second roundtimes now and those good rolls also mean my bandages stay on for a while. You'll want the practice too for when you're trying to slap a bandage on a severe wound before you bleed out since the rolls are more difficult.

If I could change anything, I'd like a poultice that worked on moderate wounds so that I'm not wasting the expensive (three fraer root and three comfrey) 104s on just moderate wounds. But then I'd probably just be burning through whatever those poultices are at a pretty rapid rate, so who knows if it would actually change anything. Being aggressive with my bandaging helps keep me from dipping into my poultice stash, so after I spend some time making a bunch of them I am pretty good for a while.
You overhear the following rumor:
"I saw one of those Shadgard folk come barging into Grif's and shoot one of the patrons on the spot. Shadgard must be a pretty rough place with such outlaws running rampant."
faylen

Post by faylen »

102 will work on moderate wounds, too, it's just a whole lot slower.

I don't know about anyone else, but I pretty much never use 101 or 103. Perhaps one of those could be removed and something else put in that would heal as fast as 104, but only work for moderate wounds or better and cost less herbs? Just a thought.

Faylen's 102 herbs will usually get a severe wound to moderate, or at least close to that depending on how bad the severe wound was. First aid seems to help a ton with that as it appears to control how long the bandage stays on. With that said, as slow as it works I often have to go get a monk's help anyway because otherwise I'm sitting around waiting for ages before I can switch out to a 104. Would love to be able to replace a 102 with a 104 as soon as the wound hits bad, but currently the code won't let you do that.

Return to “Bug Reports”