Regarding Transfer

Jirato
DEV

Regarding Transfer

Post by Jirato »

Just FYI, I disabled transfer tonight.

A couple weeks ago, I attempted to make some changes to transfer to give more specific messaging when it failed, and prevent some certain bypasses for transferring stuff you would not normally be able to get and place by normal means. It seems like those changes in turn broke all the stuff related to container weight calculation and some other things, meaning people could have infinite bags of holding or smelt 200+ pound bars in a furnace. Yikes!

Transfer started as just a simple, "move everything from A to B" command to add as a convenience feature. I'll be honest, I pretty much wrote it for myself, since when I was on my PC I frequently had to use client-side repetition commands when moving a mass amount of herbs from my gathering barrel to the trunk that I store herbs in in my home. So rather than typing #20 {get arnica from barrel;put arnica in trunk}, I whipped up transfer so I could "transfer 20 arnica from barrel to trunk". But over the course of time since I originally wrote the command, it's been a constant source of problems, interfering with container weight calculations, bypassing container restrictions, and all sorts of other issues.

So for now, it's just disabled. I might try to attempt to fix it up again, but I've gone in there to make so many emergency fixes when a bug pops up that it's starting to look pretty darn messy. I'm at the point now where I think we just need to scrap it and re-write it to something more robust and comprehensive. So unfortunately, this may be a long term thing.

I know this is going to be hard to adjust to since so many folks have been used to transfer over the past year or so since I've written it, but please remember that it's always intended to just be a simple server-side shortcut and you can easily accomplish the same client-side.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Kunren

Re: Regarding Transfer

Post by Kunren »

Makes me sad. I loved transfer, saves a great deal of headache at times. Too bad that it broke :( I will be waiting on the replacement almost as much as the generalized skills coming soon!
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.
Skah

Post by Skah »

Unfortunate, but I understand why you don't want to maintain two different systems for moving stuff, especially with all the heave changes. I have pretty decent transfer aliases/triggers for Mudlet. If people are interested, I could clean it up and make a little transfer Mudlet plugin.
Barius

Post by Barius »

Skah wrote:Unfortunate, but I understand why you don't want to maintain two different systems for moving stuff, especially with all the heave changes. I have pretty decent transfer aliases/triggers for Mudlet. If people are interested, I could clean it up and make a little transfer Mudlet plugin.
I'd at least like to see that. I'm going to have to write something myself, and it'd be nice to see how others do things. I haven't quite puzzled out how I'm going to do it. I had a heavy dependency on transfer.

I'm wondering why it wasn't written with the same checks as get/put? Wouldn't it be pretty simple?
Sneaky

Post by Sneaky »

Skah could you give a brief summary of how that plugin works, I've a few ideas of how to get it done, but I'm in mush so I won't be able to use your plugin I think. Just a general summary would do it for me though.
[FROM Liani (OOC)]: It's an ice cream conehead
You also notice a bronze crossbow bolt (x8) and the corpse of a slender pale white cave drakolin.
Alila softly compliments, "Thank you for the story--you were all excellent."
[CHAT - Lore Hermit Rias (Retired) (Discord)]: @Alila is crazypants
Vitello

Post by Vitello »

Just PLEASE don't let metal bars go back to smelting into one giant bar, that was a pain in the butt.
Vitello - Ton - Shirinya - Alwaren
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Looks like it was simpler than I initially thought, I was a bit rushed last night. Anyway, transfer is fixed to properly account for container max weights and re-enabled for now, please be sure to notify us of any problems with it.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Skah

Post by Skah »

You the best, Jirato! So, I'm going to go ahead and not share my flaky transfer replacement.
Elystole

Post by Elystole »

Bug #11456: If I use the transfer command I can transfer all of my ore (tested with fifteen pieces of lead ore) to the furnace. If I put the ore in one piece at at time, it caps at six which is what it used to be.
You overhear the following rumor:
"I saw one of those Shadgard folk come barging into Grif's and shoot one of the patrons on the spot. Shadgard must be a pretty rough place with such outlaws running rampant."
qinweiqi

Post by qinweiqi »

Hey, I had an idea a couple days ago for how to fix this maybe. Having not seen the code but dabbled in python, I'd expect that the 'empty' verb probably works very similar to the transfer verb, but perhaps the transfer verb's for each statement has a 'where' clause limiting it. Maybe take another look at the empty verb since it is handling weight limits correctly and copy it's main phrase over and tack on the where clause to the end. Just a thought, sorry if it is something already thought of / done.

Return to “Bug Reports”