Hurl Barrage

qinweiqi

Hurl Barrage

Post by qinweiqi »

I've been noticing that using barrage to hurl stones only pulls stones from my bag intermittently; often barrage will just empty my hands and report that I need to be holding something to hurl. I've used hurl set and sometimes empty about 10 stones in a row and then get the must be holding something to hurl message again even when I have more stones in my bag. Whenever this happens and I use 'hurl set' again, it informs me that I will now auto-hurl said objects (small stones typically), but using barrage immediately after that just empties my hands and then stops. Since the 'hurl set' command doesn't tell me that I will no longer automatically hurl said objects, I suspect that either the hurl set is being reset for some reason or the wilderness forage-able stones have subtly different item types (such that I'm carrying around a dozen different types of small stones).

I may be suffering from confirmation bias, but it seems using hurl set and then putting the stone back into the bag and getting a different stone before using barrage tends to result in more consecutive throws before getting the holding message, but the holding message always comes when I have more stones to throw.

Code: Select all

get stone from carr
You remove a small stone from the intricately-folded silk carryall you are wearing with your right hand.

get stone from carr
You remove a small stone from the intricately-folded silk carryall you are wearing with your left hand.

hurl set
You will now auto-hurl a small stone.

barrage
You prepare to unleash a barrage of shots!
(Type stop to stop auto-firing.)

An infested carrier moves in toward you, but is unable to get close enough.

You hurl a small stone at an infested carrier!
A small stone hurtles toward an infested carrier! (---)   10 bludgeon damage (abdomen)
   A small stone falls to the ground.
Roundtime: 2 seconds.

A small stone hurtles toward an infested carrier! (----)   6 bludgeon damage (left hand)

You must be holding something to hurl.

get sm stone from carr
You remove a small stone from the intricately-folded silk carryall you are wearing with your right hand.

get sm stone from carr
You remove a small stone from the intricately-folded silk carryall you are wearing with your left hand.

hurl set

pos av
You are now attempting to avoid combat.

barrage
You prepare to unleash a barrage of shots!

A small stone hurtles toward an infested carrier! (+*****) (!)   7 bludgeon damage (left hand)

A small stone hurtles toward an infested carrier! (+*****) (!)   2 bludgeon damage (right leg)

You must be holding something to hurl.
qinweiqi

Re: Hurl Barrage

Post by qinweiqi »

Ok, after playing around with it a little more today, it looks like the issue is that not all small rocks register under the same item. I was able to pull several different rocks in succession and each of them registered as a new item for hurl set. So, I'm going to live with my work around of using 'hurl set' on all of the stones in my bag for now.

Code: Select all

You put a small stone in the intricately-folded silk carryall that you are wearing.

You put a small stone in the intricately-folded silk carryall that you are wearing.

You remove a medium stone from the intricately-folded silk carryall you are wearing with your right hand.

You will now auto-hurl a medium stone.

You put a medium stone in the intricately-folded silk carryall that you are wearing.

You remove a medium stone from the intricately-folded silk carryall you are wearing with your right hand.

You will now auto-hurl a medium stone.

You put a medium stone in the intricately-folded silk carryall that you are wearing.

Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

It's like that for everything unfortunately, or was when I was testing with both daggers and stones. Makes it a bit of a pain to use the fancy auto-hurl barrage when you have to hurl-set all of them individually, especially since stones get lost so easily and you need so many of them. I'm not sure if it would even be possible to change the code to hurl-set all like items, but it would be really nice if it was.
Vinz

Post by Vinz »

The advantage for the system in its current state i believe is that you can have a bunch of different things in your pouch, (medium stones, river stones, knives, darts, etc) and it will keep grabbing them until your auto hurl items are depeleted. Do hurled items sometimes 'disappear' upon use or are they always recoverable? ive not used this system much.
-*- GM Vinz -*-
Haite says, " ...Diamonds are also hard, really really freaking hard."
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

Only stones get lost as far as I can tell. Other hurlable weapons either get lodged in the opponent or drop to the ground. I think if you're hurling things you'd probably grab anything you had that was hurlable and throw it, but that could just be me. It's only really a bother *with* stones since you have to replace them and need so many.

Though, this thread is about a bug and not suggestions. I think the functionality is fine for the most part and I agree the way it's set up has its advantages.
qinweiqi

Post by qinweiqi »

Vinz wrote:The advantage for the system in its current state i believe is that you can have a bunch of different things in your pouch, (medium stones, river stones, knives, darts, etc) and it will keep grabbing them until your auto hurl items are depeleted. Do hurled items sometimes 'disappear' upon use or are they always recoverable? ive not used this system much.
I haven't had any of my hurled objects disappear (I'm using stones exclusively, just small, medium and large. Despite my best efforts, I have NEVER found a smooth river stone). The issue with the current system though is that I could have 30 small stones in my bag (oh look, I do!) but I have to hold each individual stone in my right hand and use 'hurl set' in order to use all of them. Otherwise I auto hurl some portion of the small stones and stop auto-hurling while I still have small stones in my bag. The problem is that while textually all of the items of that type appear the same (they even "stack" - a small stone (x30)), they have something going on where 'hurl set' isn't picking up all of them as identical objects.

Edit to add: I should note that I haven't been experiencing any issues since I flagged all of my stones individually with 'hurl set' though I also haven't had the need to forage for new stones.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

This is set up this way intentionally, so you don't end up automatically throwing your valuable extra-effective skinning knife, those tomatoes you just harvested, the pie your wife baked for you, the fish you just caught, the dagger/spear/trident/handaxe/etc. you reserve for melee, and so on. A lot of items are hurlable but aren't ideal for serious combat situations, and you'd really be up a creek if you auto-hurled your melee weapon and had nothing left to fight with after running out of things to hurl.

In the case of specifically-designed throwing weapons and stones, those could possibly be set to be considered automatically. Then again, some people might prefer to keep those riverstones reserved for serious situations. I suppose the best idea might be a mass hurl set for all items matching a provided noun.
The lore compels me!
Enepttastic

Post by Enepttastic »

Semi-related here but it was asked a couple of nights ago and forgot about posting. Is there any way to set a container for items set to hurl to go into. Like say, I have a pouch I want to keep my hurling/sling stones in, any way to make sure they go into THAT pouch instead of another when using "Gather hurled"?
In-game: Atali: Punching things while wearing (mostly)full plate because she likes hearing the "ping."
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

There isn't a way to set which container you gather hurled into, but that's a good idea.
The lore compels me!
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

Rias wrote:This is set up this way intentionally, so you don't end up automatically throwing your valuable extra-effective skinning knife, those tomatoes you just harvested, the pie your wife baked for you, the fish you just caught, the dagger/spear/trident/handaxe/etc. you reserve for melee, and so on.
Now I'm picturing a character who starts freaking out at the first sign of danger and just throws literally anything they can get their hands on at whatever is after them in order to get away. Hehe
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.

Return to “Bug Reports”