No skillgain from flares

Rias
DEV

No skillgain from flares

Post by Rias »

Bug Info: You don't get thaumaturgy skillgain for flares (channeling thaumaturgy while fighting).
This is intentional. No channeling flares grant skillgain, otherwise Righteous Ricardo with 50000 thaumaturgy (for example) could still get gains from attacking ravens when his thaumaturgy flared.
The lore compels me!
Noctere

Post by Noctere »

I like Righteous Ricardo.
It's not easy being evil...
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

What about providing a flare skill gain based on the attack vs. defense as usual (only the gain also goes to what's being channeled) so that you can still gain if there is challenge? For hybrid type classes that aren't pure casting and mainly rely on flares, it can be difficult to gain skill in, for example, sorcery although I'm sure this applies to others as well.
20:21:01 [CHAT - (a mysterious GM)]: With obvious effort, Zuki pries up a thick scale over a drakolin's chest! Zuki spearhand-strikes the soft, unprotected area under the scale! Heart ruptured, death follows immediately. A drakolin lets out a final bellow of rage and falls lifeless to the ground.
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

I've never really had issues training up aeromancy or druidry (which has no raw cast) on Kian, and he's a hybrid type caster. I don't even really use flares with aeromancy, I use it for a specific ability that doesn't net any gains for it.
Morgoth, I cried
All hope is gone but I swear revenge
Hear my oath
I will take part in your damned fate
Jaren

Post by Jaren »

I recall making a post about this in the past and I agree that it would be nice to have skill gains from flares. Granted, these skill gains would have the same challenge restrictions that any other skill has. It would work just like melee, if you attack a critter with same level of dodge or below, you should get skill.

Now I know what some of you are thinking... "Wouldn't Evil Eve have an advantage being able to train sorcery and melee skills at the same time over a pure caster?" Answer: No, Evil Eve will only have half as much time to gain skill because she will drain energy much faster when attacking with both melee/magic and will have to take more time to rest between training sessions.

A candle twice as bright bla bla bla... you know the rest.
"When someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES!"
Winston Zeddmore
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

[quote=KianTheArcher]I've never really had issues training up aeromancy or druidry (which has no raw cast) on Kian, and he's a hybrid type caster. I don't even really use flares with aeromancy, I use it for a specific ability that doesn't net any gains for it.[/quote]

I don't really understand. How exactly are you getting gains then without raw casts or abilities that give gains?
20:21:01 [CHAT - (a mysterious GM)]: With obvious effort, Zuki pries up a thick scale over a drakolin's chest! Zuki spearhand-strikes the soft, unprotected area under the scale! Heart ruptured, death follows immediately. A drakolin lets out a final bellow of rage and falls lifeless to the ground.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I don't plan on adding skillgain to flares. There's not a lot of skill going into adding a brief raw burst into a weapon swing, and the chance for flares isn't based on their related skill, nor do they have any kind of accuracy or damage boost based on any skill - they're automatic.

Characters who choose to "hybridize" their style or skillset can choose to opt out of the abilities that require skills they don't wish to skill up. For instance, a Templar can choose not to focus on training thaumaturgy and simply ignore abilities like Spear of Light and Sun Disc if they choose to focus on the physical combat aspect of their guild.

If some skill requirements for abilities seem unfair, feel free to bring it up on your guild's board.
The lore compels me!
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

[quote=Acarin]I don't really understand. How exactly are you getting gains then without raw casts or abilities that give gains?[/quote]

I had to train up aeromancy by raw casting with access to only one channel. But I don't use the raw casts outside of training purposes, and the passive/active aeromancy abilities that the Udemi have don't give me any skill gains.

For druidry, I don't get raw casts*, so I only gain skill by using tangle root (hibernate and, possibly, minor taming would work as well, but I don't have those spells) against a target that's considered a challenge, which can be annoying, but not super hard.

The easiest way to keep it simple to train is to keep your skill levels relatively similar. For instance, I don't have my archery that much higher than my melee, or my aeromancy any higher than melee, and I keep my dodge around the level of my archery.

*There are actual raw casts, but not in the same way of any other magic. They aren't used in combat and don't give any skill gains, so I'm not counting it as having a raw cast.
Last edited by KianTheArcher on Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morgoth, I cried
All hope is gone but I swear revenge
Hear my oath
I will take part in your damned fate

Return to “Bug Reports”