Skill Gap for Climbing

Sneaky

Skill Gap for Climbing

Post by Sneaky »

I am currently at a point where my climbing skill is not enough to make the next challenging climb in the Qiri mountains without intentionally adding weight to increase the challenge of climbing to raise the skill. The next rating is 580. I would suggest a climb somewhere that is 500 or so. I'm unaware of any climbs that are around this range. In fact, I only know of 6 or 7 climbs that require more than 0 climbing to make.
Lysse

Re: Skill Gap for Climbing - Requested Changes To Climbing

Post by Lysse »

I'm going to post this here instead of starting a new thread, but given how the new climbing system from the cogg engine works, I wanted to make a couple of requests for changes to the way climbing works.

First of all - I think that the encumbrance penalty raising the difficulty of the check should be dropped, in favor of applying negative rerolls to your climb roll. Since everyone ALWAYS gets 5 positive rerolls, I think it'd be fair if it was a little more harsh than the armor penalties (especially if/when that gear adjustment ability makes it to New Clok), but my second suggestion might make that unnecessary.

Second, so far the way most climbs seem to work is that climbing down tends to be a little less than half as difficult as climbing up. With the above change to rerolls vs increasing the climb difficulty, I'd also like to see this reworked so that down-climbs tend to be closer to the same as the up-climb (but not fully identical - I think it's generally pretty reasonable that it's easier to climb down than up, it just makes the skill grind much more frustrating to me when you gain skill going up, but not going down due to the vast disparity).
“I will tell you precisely what Royalty is,” said Intra, “It is a continuous cutting motion.”

Return to “General Areas”