Soul Beacon Centers

jilliana

Soul Beacon Centers

Post by jilliana »

Is it possible that we can have soul beacon centers of sorts in hamlets?

I was thinking that for the sake of balance. the monks could take twice as long to raise seeing that hamlets are further out and there may not be a monk readily available.

Maybe someone else can add a quirk to it. :)
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
jilliana

Re: Soul Beacon Centers

Post by jilliana »

I didn't suggest infirmaries in my first post because there is already the opinion amongst the "citizens" of CLOK that the undying are unnatural, etc. I figured the citizens of a hamlet don't want to see that happening in the infirmary.
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

I don't know that there would be the church support necessary to have a monk available full time in all the hamlets for soul-beacons. This is why they only show up to heal every so often as it is. Also, most hamlets are in a decent position close enough to major towns it's not a problem to go a bit further.

That said, I do agree something should be done. I think it would be nice to add a resurrection point to Dwaedn Vil and the Brawling Retreat, at least until further western expansion is fleshed out. I could see guilds that focus on combat wanting to have a monk handy at all times just in case things get out of hand, and those places already have other features that make them a bit unique compared to the typical hamlet. They're also both positioned far enough out to make such a thing really beneficial to PCs who try to help others by performing rescues. Those rides out to Three Mounds, Red Leaf, the Swamp and the Coastal Cliffs can get a bit long when you consider also having to find the body and drag them safely out of zones that can already be quite large.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Hamlets are already far more developed than originally intended. They've got all sorts of unique shops, player homes, sell mounts, etc. They were originally intended to be fodder for events, but they ended up so devloped that we would feel bad about doing horrible things to them at this point (not that this necessarily means we won't).

Getting to the original post's point: We're constantly reminding people that there aren't droves of monks around. There's no way enough to have a soul-beacon-capable monk stationed in every hamlet and minor settlement - if there were, why aren't they permanently there healing? Because of that, we have the traveling monks that show up now and then whom A) are not necessarily capable of beacons in the first place and B) aren't going to forsake all the living people with injuries to tend to those whom are already dead. They're already dead at that point, and frankly, there's no reason to rush and make the monks incapable of healing for a periord post-beacon - bring the body somewhere where soul beacon monks are established. Also remember that the still-living people being tended to are 99.999999999% likely to not be Undying. They definitely take priority over an Undying who has to suffer the minor inconvenience of waiting a while before being restored to life.

As to the issue of moving bodies long distances being a drag (Kentpun!), don't forget that you can heave a body into a wagon and zip it off a lot quicker than dragging it all the way across the wilderness by hand. There might be another soul beacon post put in at some point with various conditions and circumstances, but nothing's planned at the moment. Some places are meant to be far removed from civilization and conveniences.
The lore compels me!
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

Thanks for the explanation. It does make sense.

To be quite frank, I do look forward to the day when and if you guys do decide to do something, particularly for those places that are much further out.
Alicia

Post by Alicia »

Only if you have a friend with you! You can't heave a corpse into a wagon alone, so.... yeah you kinda do have to haul it across the wilderness by hand if it is just you.
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

Yeah, why do corpses require two people? A huge wardrobe can be heaved by a single person, but an average-sized person? No way.
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

could always make it so that you can tie the corpse to a horse and drag it behind you XD. Actually, the better choice there would probably be having some sort of litter similar to a sled to hook onto a horse.
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

Well, currently you can start dragging the person and then mount your horse. Same thing, right?
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Fayne wrote:Yeah, why do corpses require two people? A huge wardrobe can be heaved by a single person, but an average-sized person? No way.
The wardrobe is probably set to be too light. For corpses, it's likely due to a recent change with weights. For now, I've just made player corpses always only require one person. We'll look the other way when that corpse is a massive hulking giganti claid in full plate and carrying two backpacks full of treasure boxes. Presumably you could shift their inventory over separate from their corpse as part of the heave action.
The lore compels me!
Alicia

Post by Alicia »

Rias wrote:
Fayne wrote:Yeah, why do corpses require two people? A huge wardrobe can be heaved by a single person, but an average-sized person? No way.
The wardrobe is probably set to be too light. For corpses, it's likely due to a recent change with weights. For now, I've just made player corpses always only require one person. We'll look the other way when that corpse is a massive hulking giganti claid in full plate and carrying two backpacks full of treasure boxes. Presumably you could shift their inventory over separate from their corpse as part of the heave action.
Haha Rias, thanks though!
preiman
CLOK Patron

Post by preiman »

glad to know people can look the other way when i die. otherwise no one is ever getting me in the wagon or cart
"I don't think we're ever going to find out what is going on with these canim, where are they coming from?!"
Kent arrives from the southeast.
Kent hugs you.
say um
You say, "Um."
a Mistral Lake sentry arrives from the east, armor clanking.
Kent heads north.

Return to “General Town & Outposts”