Fewer NPC healing monks

Rias
DEV

Fewer NPC healing monks

Post by Rias »

The Church reports that its monks have recently been overwhelmed with patients seeking healing, while local infirmaries have reported several vacant beds. Lines of wounded citizens have been seen outside Church facilities as patients wait for attention from thew few exhausted monks that take residence in the West.

"I understand the draw of thaumaturgic healing," commented herbalist Hildibrand, who runs an infirmary in the town of Shadgard, "but people have been actually harming themselves via this preference for such healing while shunning more conventional, herbal healing. People seem insistent to wait in the streets while their wounds fester and worsen, hoping to get the attention of the few overwhelmed monks who are more often than not exhausted to the point that they can barely stand. Meanwhile, my infirmary, which is designed to house and help a large amount of people, stands mostly vacant."

Brother Dimmes, one of the very few monks in the same town, has shown symptoms of severe over-exhaustion and stress, as well as a concern for the citizens of Shadgard. "The simple truth is that there are nowhere near enough monks in town to heal all the wounded in these dangerous times. The bulk of the responsibility has recently fallen to myself, as the only monk who maintains a constant post within the Shadgard walls. I can hardly keep the entire town healthy on my own, and it troubles me to see the sacrifices people have been making to see me, shunning the most capable assistance of Hildibrand and his assistants in the infirmary. They are equipped to care for a large number patients - I, sadly, am not."

Similar situations have been observed in other areas of the West, throughout which Church presence is small. In an effort to spare the overworked monks and remind the people that herbal healing is still an option, many of the monks stationed permanently within the towns have withdrawn temporarily in order to recuperate.

----------

OOC: In an effort to increase appreciation for Monk player characters, many NPC monks have been, or will be, moved and will only show up occasionally to offer healing. We encourage player characters to:
- Look and ask around for a PC monk to help. They all listen to the ESP network, so that's an easy way to find one.
- Visit the town infirmaries and ask the herbalists within for healing. This is meant to be less convenient than PC monk healing, due to the time/hunger/energy penalties involved. They will likely charge small fees soon, as well.
- Craft herbal poultices to apply to bandages for increased healing, or buy said poultice-treated bandages from a PC who can make them.
The lore compels me!
Dyslexia

Post by Dyslexia »

How often would these monks show up for healing?
Wondering for the eventual situation where a newbie had died, lost all the riln they were carrying and can not venture to the place where they lost their riln (assuming healers charge a fee) and get a healing.
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

Hildibrand heals for free.
Morgoth, I cried
All hope is gone but I swear revenge
Hear my oath
I will take part in your damned fate
Bangarang

Post by Bangarang »

However Rias just suggested they may in fact charge a fee in the future, so the question is still valid.

A newbie flag that granted new players access to a monk, with whatever other restrictions may exist, until they get settled in might help that problem while keeping the balance they are trying to achieve.
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

Ohh, sorry. I missed that bit.

In that case, it might be wise to have a newbie flag up on new characters that either gives them free healing, or access to a monk.
Morgoth, I cried
All hope is gone but I swear revenge
Hear my oath
I will take part in your damned fate
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I don't think the healers are going to see you gushing blood and say, "Sorry, pay up or I let you die." If you don't have the riln on you, they'll just take it out of your local bank account. If you don't have enough, it'll accrue a debt, and if you leave a debt for too long, you'll eventually get a crime charge for it. It shouldn't be an issue.
The lore compels me!

Return to “General Areas”