Armor

Rias
Lore Hermit

Armor

Post by Rias »

An armory (one which features only armor, not arms) has been placed on Brewery Row near the blacksmith and mine. This armory is temporary for testing purposes (as is most of the town, honestly). All types of armor are available and cost 1 riln.

A different piece of armor must be bought for different body parts (a helm, gloves, leg greaves, etc.). Some armor types don't have a piece for each body part (there are no chainmail boots, for instance). The targetable body areas are:

Head
Eyes
Neck
Chest
Back
Abdomen
Arms
Hands
Legs
Feet

All types of torso armor cover the chest, back and abdomen. Some types of headgear cover the eyes (i.e. a visored helm), some don't (i.e. a leather cap). This will be noted in the shop description when you inquire about the item.

Different armor types reduce damage types by different amounts. Most of the heavy armors will render you immune to slash and rake damage. The heavier the armor, the more difficult it is to overcome the Armor Use check. Currently, this only effects combat. Each combat roll (both offensive and defensive) will have an Armor Use skill check for each piece of worn armor. Each failed armor check roll will cause your AAR or TDR to go down by a percentage. Heavier armors have higher skill checks.

Armor Use skill goes up for each attack you make where you succeed all your armor checks, as long as your target is a decent challenge for you. Thus, you should start out with only one or a few pieces of light armor, giving yourself fewer chances at failing armor checks and thus a greater chance at skilling up. As your Armor Use skill increases you'll have less chance of failing armor checks and can start putting on more (and heavier) pieces of armor with less risk.

Armor takes damage on each hit to the location it is protecting (provided any damage is actually done). The state of your armor will be noted when you use the LOOK (person/self) or INVENTORY verbs (to be expanded). If it is in anything but good shape, you will see a description in parentheses, such as: a pair of leather vambraces (battered). Once the armor is damaged beyond its maximum durability (varying by armor type - plate lasts longer than leather), it will become useless and fall apart. There is no way currently to repair armor, though that is in the works. For now, just buy a new piece of armor when an old one breaks - they only cost 1 riln at the moment.

The templar Aelwyn should be sought out for Armor Use training.

This is all that armor currently does, mechanically. Eventually, heavier armors will receive more penalties, such as swimming, climbing, stealth and so on. The plan is to make the heavier armors be extremely effective and negating damage, but also extremely encumbering so that you'll only be wearing them into battle, and will likely have to remove them for other activities. There will also likely be a penalty to many magical actions for heavier armors. Don't get used to swimming or sneaking around in plate - it will be virtually impossible once more coding is done. You'll be a combat powerhouse in full plate armor, but won't be able to do much more than swing weapons.

All that said, I do plan on high-capacity lockers and other storage systems (homes!) to facilitate players owning multiple articles of armor for differing situations. Break out your plate armor to fend off an invasion, switch to your leather armor for a stealth mission. Stuff like that.

So, go buy some armor and test it out.
The lore compels me!
raith

Post by raith »

sounds good may be able to test this evening
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

Will there be a development for special types of armor, such as spiked chest-plates which hurt the attacker if they used a unarmed attack at the chest or abdomen?
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
~The Apprentice of the Elements
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Sure, I just need ideas like that. Don't hug your friends while wearing one of those!
The lore compels me!
Isiaa

Post by Isiaa »

could there be some sort of mechanically enhanced or magically enhanced armor?With particular bonuses like extra cutting or fire resist for the magic armors and decreased fatigue for the mechanic armors?After all Grum is a steampunk nation and Nuum used a lot of magic.They would have found some way to enhance armor.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

There will be some enhanced armors, though I intend them to be rare (the same goes for weapons). I don't want to have a system that encourages constantly obsoleting and upgrading gear.

And I'm talking actually rare, not Blizzard Rare where you just have to grind an extra hour for a particularly nice "drop".
The lore compels me!
Isiaa

Post by Isiaa »

quest base them...with GM's as quest masters for those particular quests.And make access to those quests limited to those who are nominated for it for good RP.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Something like that, I would prefer.
The lore compels me!
Myke

Post by Myke »

Does armor skill raise as long as I'm wearing *any* armor (like say, just gauntlets), only when fully armored, does it raise faster the more armor you have on? The heavier the armor is? Only when upgrading slowly from leather to chain to plate, etc?
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

From the original post:

[quote=Rias]The heavier the armor, the more difficult it is to overcome the Armor Use check. Currently, this only effects combat. Each combat roll (both offensive and defensive) will have an Armor Use skill check for each piece of worn armor. Each failed armor check roll will cause your AAR or TDR to go down by a percentage. Heavier armors have higher skill checks.

Armor Use skill goes up for each attack you make where you succeed all your armor checks, as long as your target is a decent challenge for you. Thus, you should start out with only one or a few pieces of light armor, giving yourself fewer chances at failing armor checks and thus a greater chance at skilling up. As your Armor Use skill increases you'll have less chance of failing armor checks and can start putting on more (and heavier) pieces of armor with less risk.
[/quote]

It'll go up with any armor, so the boots you start off with count. There are caps, however - for instance, soft leather will only get you up to ~100 skill.

The more pieces you wear, the better skillgain you'll get if you succeed all the checks.
The lore compels me!
Reynard

Post by Reynard »

Hm. I'm not sure I was seeing any Armor Use skill increases when I was wearing just boots and gloves (which was until yesterday). I was (VERY rarely) losing channels, though.
-> put meat in pan
You can't put anything inside the pants.
Landion

Post by Landion »

A full set of soft leather armor will only give you armor gains up to around 100 or less. At that point, you would need to move up to another armor class, or add a few pieces of heavier armor types.

With only soft leather boots and gloves, you're not going to see much in armor gains at all.
No longer GMing for CLOK.
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

Does Rigid Leather give further gains? I'm maxed at 100 from soft leather and have been wearing a few rigid pieces I made with no additional skill gain. Or is rigid leather supposed to cap at 100 also?
20:21:01 [CHAT - (a mysterious GM)]: With obvious effort, Zuki pries up a thick scale over a drakolin's chest! Zuki spearhand-strikes the soft, unprotected area under the scale! Heart ruptured, death follows immediately. A drakolin lets out a final bellow of rage and falls lifeless to the ground.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

I knew I forgot something when implementing rigid leather.
The lore compels me!
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

Is there any advantage to using Copper or Bronze armor compared to Steel? Is there any advantage to using Steel compared to Iron?
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
~The Apprentice of the Elements
Landion

Post by Landion »

Iron and steel help protect against Nether based attacks. Aside from that there is no difference.

On this note, forged armors, and leather crafted armors provide an extra % of damage protection.
No longer GMing for CLOK.

Return to “Armor”