(Idea) A change to helmets

Nootau

(Idea) A change to helmets

Post by Nootau »

Can there be a Open/Closed option for helmets?

The idea that you could open the face guard or draw back the hood so your voice is not altered though it doesn't count as protecting the eyes any more.

Is this too much?
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
~The Apprentice of the Elements
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

I think it's a good idea. To-doed.
The lore compels me!
Landion

Post by Landion »

Hehe.

Sir Bedevere the Wise!
No longer GMing for CLOK.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of that.

*creeak* How do you know she is a witch?
The lore compels me!
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

I think I missed that? Please come again?
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
Landion

Post by Landion »

"I'm not a witch!"

Sir Bedevere: What makes you think she's a witch?
Peasant: Well, she turned me into a newt!
Sir Bedevere: A newt?
Peasant: [meekly after a long pause] ... I got better.
No longer GMing for CLOK.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

To quote King Arthur: "You make me sad."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g
The lore compels me!
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

Oh god... I haven't seen that in years!
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

My current visored helm functions this way. It may be good to add visored helms to the armor shops now that the feature is implemented.
(Alexander clenches a fist momentarily, then stops and calms himself with visible effort.)
[FROM Eira (OOC)]: LET IT OUT, MAN!
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

Just my usual armor nerf comments. I don't really understand how any helm can provide "nigh invulnerable" eye protection. Just look at the picture! plenty of gaps to stick a knife through... if you protect your eyes completely (or cover them in any way with metal) you'd be blind, not just have reduced perception. I'd imagine visored helms (if similar to how they're shown above) would not protect the eyes very well against any small weapons. Someone able to explain?
20:21:01 [CHAT - (a mysterious GM)]: With obvious effort, Zuki pries up a thick scale over a drakolin's chest! Zuki spearhand-strikes the soft, unprotected area under the scale! Heart ruptured, death follows immediately. A drakolin lets out a final bellow of rage and falls lifeless to the ground.
Hadya

Post by Hadya »

Many helms had a small narrow opening to see through. Do a google image search for "medieval helmets". I still can't figure out how to post pictures on these boards, but a few pop up right away.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

There is a possibility for small weapons to exploit a chink in helmets, presumably the eye slit, on eye shots as with any other location.
(Alexander clenches a fist momentarily, then stops and calms himself with visible effort.)
[FROM Eira (OOC)]: LET IT OUT, MAN!
Francesca

Post by Francesca »

Hitting anything is the eye is a lot harder now I thought?
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

My point is that the eyes themselves are NEVER actually armored. They may be set back a bit and defended by reach, but I don't see how a plate helm could ever make eyes "nigh invulnerable." Since chinking armor is exploiting gaps, wouldn't we have pretty high success rate with these helms?
20:21:01 [CHAT - (a mysterious GM)]: With obvious effort, Zuki pries up a thick scale over a drakolin's chest! Zuki spearhand-strikes the soft, unprotected area under the scale! Heart ruptured, death follows immediately. A drakolin lets out a final bellow of rage and falls lifeless to the ground.
hadesfire

Post by hadesfire »

Maybe have a helmer only available to certain guilds (templars) that is made to severly block perception but protects the eyes quite a bit.
Last edited by hadesfire on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gad

Post by Gad »

Another thing you can do is guard a monk with high perception to watch for assassins.
Stop holding my character hostage.
Gruff

Re: (Idea) A change to helmets

Post by Gruff »

This isn't a good idea to implement. Wearing a closed helm provides near invulnerable eye protection. If you don't think so. Try sticking a knife in someone's eye will you're in combat with them...not an easy task...the. Try it when they have a full helm on...good luck. You'll likely be dead if you can get close enough to do that.
Makkah

Post by Makkah »

We already have greathelms that provide eye protection. They do offer a severe hindrance to perception, so there's definitely a trade-off.
dara

Post by dara »

Would be nice if there different types of open face helms
Truth is better business
Honor is servicable
Smiles are the success

Return to “Armor”