Shields should protect your back when worn

Sadi

Shields should protect your back when worn

Post by Sadi »

I've noticed that the moment you sling your shield over your shoulder, it transmutes itself into an immaterial mist that weighs as much as a shield but does nothing to protect you. It would make more sense if wearing a shield on your back added protection to your back-- either by adding damage resistance to lessen the strength of a hit to your back, or by adding a block chance to attacks aimed at your back. Both of these would be dependent on the size and material of the shield. Of course, wearing a shield should also add to your armor check penalties-- you've got a chunk of metal or wood strapped to your back, so you're going to be naturally a bit clumsier than you otherwise would be.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Re: Shields should protect your back when worn

Post by Rias »

I've considered this several times, and even thought about it in the past from other experiences like the similar mechanic in Gemstone where you wear a shield over your shoulder, and that Zelda game where you wear the shield on your back when you're not using it. The only thing I worry about is the slope leading to "having a sheathed sword on your belt should have a chance to block blows to the legs" and other stuff. Like a backpack full of weapons or whatever else - should that block blows to your back? If so, should it damage the stuff inside when it does so?
The lore compels me!
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

The Zelda game you are thinking of is Ocarina of Time, where the Hylian shield could be used by child Link, but he simply wore it on his back and crouched down to block.

Anyway, actually adding to the topic, I think the shield makes sense, but as for the sword and backpack, let's face it, a sheathed sword is hardly ever going to be positioned properly to block an attack aimed at the leg, and if it were a blunt weapon of any kind, the sword would be bent beyond use at the very least. As for the backpack, we shouldn't even worry about it, because if you start trying to work it into the equation, then there's also the possibility of it splitting open and spilling its contents everywhere, things inside being broken, etcetera. Plus, if it can block an attack, then next thing you know people will want a full backpack to be used as an improvised weapon, and then people would complain about backpacks being damaged and items getting broken and the crap just keeps rolling downhill from there.
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

I disagree. I'm all for backpacks providing defensive padding if back shields do the same.

So someone wearing plate gets an additional plate class of back defense when they don't have their shield out? Or they get a block roll specifically for their back? Realism is one thing, but this just seems like it will get ridiculous when mechanics are implemented. Shields aren't armor. They're shields. I suggest that they not be treated as armor. I think it's safer just not to go there at all, honestly. Just assume when a shield is worn, it's not in a position to defend.

Please don't start bringing Zelda into this either. Zelda certainly does not represent real combat.
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

I don't know a lot about swords and shields per say, but, if a shield is being worn on the back, I'm going to assume it is not being used. So, I don't think it should protect the back.
Noctere
Coder

Post by Noctere »

We always strive to find a nice balance between our game mechanics and reality. So I personally feel that the way we have shields now is acceptable.

Keep in mind that asking for something using realism as a justification doesn't always result in a desirable change. What if we were to suddenly realize that drawing a greatsword from a sheathe was RIDICULOUSLY too fast so we implemented weapon draw times or what if we realized that certain suits of armor made going to the water closest nigh impossible so you would acquire a 'got to go' debuff when worn?

As always, we do appreciate the suggestion though. Please keep them coming, I dislike it when we have to shoot one down but without them we don't always realize where to improve.
It's not easy being evil...
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

Noctere, I actually love both of your suggestions... Draw times and "got to go" debuffs.

Are these on the "to do" list?
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

I love the idea in theory, but in practice people would just run around and carry shields when their character wouldn't be interested in shields to begin with. Not just that, but all the other stuff as well. Huge can of worms!
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."

Return to “Armor”