Armors arranged by overall rank

Kent

Armors arranged by overall rank

Post by Kent »

At the Wiki page

http://wiki.contrarium.net/index.php/Armor

there is a list of armors, arranged alpabetically.

Some armors are obviously better in defensive value than others, eq chain mail is better than leather. However, I don't have knowledge on how some armours compare.

For example, does leather scale have better or worse defensive capability than rigid leather? Brigantine vs chainmail? Chainmail vs metal scale? I know some types are chinkable and others are not, but I am wondering about base defence.

I noticed fur armor is not even mentioned on that wiki page...would that be the same as rigid leather, as my intuition tells me?

So my request, I guess, is that the list of armour types be rearranged to show ranking of general defensive value of armour types, please.

Perhaps the better (and grander) request would be to have two lists...one ranking the armors vs thrusting damage, and a second list ranking them vs slashing damage?
Blitz

Re: Armors arranged by overall rank

Post by Blitz »

As far as general defensive value goes, I think the ranking is something like this:

Fur < Leather < Rigid leather < Brigandine < Chainmail < Plate (Not sure where scaled leather or metal fits into this -- somewhere between rigid leather and plate)

There is more than 2 types of damage though, and the effectiveness of certain types of armor versus each of these types can deviate strongly from the above. However, I'm not sure if those hard numbers, or even their rank order, are something that should just be published for all to see. I'd rather expect it to be something people should find out on their own.
Acarin

Re: Armors arranged by overall rank

Post by Acarin »

Fur and leather armor are the same unless this has been changed.

There are also 2 types of scale leather. Leather scale fits between leather and rigid. Metal scale... no idea but my guess would be between brig and chain.

Return to “Armor”