Firearm Repairs

Jirato
DEV

Firearm Repairs

Post by Jirato »

Basic Firearms will no longer auto-restore durability at 50%, and now must be repaired at a qualified repair location such as [Tools of War, Ranged Combat], [Lake Firearms], [Shadgard Firearms], or [Corvus Outpost, Weapons Storeroom].

Revolver repair remains unaffected for the time being, but this should be addressed shortly.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Jirato
DEV

Re: Firearm Repairs

Post by Jirato »

After some consideration, I've expanded this to include revolvers.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Dakhal

Re: Firearm Repairs

Post by Dakhal »

I'm plenty happy for this, as I actually like needing to take my firearms in for service to keep them in good working order- but there's something that I have noticed that is just a bit minorly irritating.

That being the fact that firearms jam, and while I agree that they should, I find it a bit bothersome that they will jam (and pretty frequently at that) at good repair. This only becomes more and more frequent as it becomes more damaged, scuffed making me grunt as I see it far more often than I would like and once it's battered, about 50% of the time it will jam.

This, coupled with the fact that firearms gain is much lower than just about any other weapon gain (except perhaps crossbows), doesn't help to validate the use of the weapon. It's certainly serviceable as it is, but there's a lot of things that make it annoying and someone who isn't dedicated to improving it, will just toss it aside. This doesn't do well for things, because there isn't a lot of variety as is (90% of people use swords or brawling).

To list, there are things that make firearms a less favorable thing for people to use:
1) They are expensive. A flintlock costs about ten times the cost of any average bow you might find, and have no craftable equivalent. They will have a constant cost, no matter the case. There is no means to get powder from anywhere but a shop, and no way for shot to be made for you. Bows are granted a mighty privilege.
2) They are exhausting to train. I can say this as even with the change in skill gains, and my own experience of grinding numerous weapon skills, I've dumped many hours into bringing it up and I've made it nowhere. This is due to the way that skill gains are calculated, and as firearms have 1-2 RT when fired, they receive very minimal amounts of skill per hit (and they still have reload times). Bows receive decent gain because their reload and attack RT are compounded together, thus resulting in better gains by far.
3) Small nuances like a firearm jamming and taking time to unjam are fun, but their frequency seems far too common. A bow has no chance to jam, and your bowstring will never break, nor will that arrow that you just nocked become somehow misaligned and thus require adjustment.
4) There are no firearms that have a quality greater than average quality, barring one that I've seen in a festival event.
5) They are /heavy/. And their supplies are /heavy/. Weight management is a huge pain when you use firearms- I only carry one and no other weapons, and I'm often just short of being encumbered. A bow is much lighter and their arrows don't weigh near as much. Powderhorns could honestly use more than just a mere 35 shots, because that's such a pathetic amount for something that weighs a pound.

I didn't really intend to turn this into a list of why firearms aren't great, but these are things I've noticed over my use of them- things I know can and will turn people away from using them. Firearms are /great/. They're very powerful and do quite well. Are they fun to use? Not really. They're stressful and a great annoyance until you have enough skill to overcome that fact, and even then, your firearm is going to jam enough to make you want to pull your hair out.

Thanks for the read. I really do like firearms, and I hope that some of these issues might be looked at and considered.
Love me or hate me, both are in my favor. If you love me, I'll always be in your heart. If you hate me, I'll always be in your mind.
I lead a Life of Sin.

Return to “Weapons”