"Light" Hafted Weapons?

Elystole

"Light" Hafted Weapons?

Post by Elystole »

Has anyone found a light hafted weapon? How do you even know if a weapon is a light weapon?

I imagine something like a baton, but there could be other things. What about the staves you get when you carve small branches?
You overhear the following rumor:
"I saw one of those Shadgard folk come barging into Grif's and shoot one of the patrons on the spot. Shadgard must be a pretty rough place with such outlaws running rampant."
Jirato
DEV

Re: "Light" Hafted Weapons?

Post by Jirato »

There isn't really a "light hafted weapon" mechanic or anything, so, that's pretty subjective. I'd say a handaxe would be considered light.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

I'm not actually certain that light hafted weapons are appropriate for Clok, given how the "hafted" classification interacts with most combat. But something like a very small club (blackjack, sock full of oranges, etc.) might function as a hafted weapon and still remain light. I've done research on small, primitive hafted weapons and was only ever able to come up with the patu as a good match, which is a short Maori club carved out of varying types of stone like greenstone, or even wood. It's a bit like a club with an edge.

*Fixed a sleepy typo.
Last edited by Lysse on Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“There is always a choice."
"You mean I could choose certain death?"
"A choice nevertheless, or perhaps an alternative. You see I believe in freedom. Not many people do, although they will of course protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.”
Elystole

Post by Elystole »

Jirato wrote:There isn't really a "light hafted weapon" mechanic or anything, so, that's pretty subjective. I'd say a handaxe would be considered light.
I'm asking because of "OOC: When brawling or using light weapons, passive chance to perform known Dirty Tricks when attacking." Are you saying that there are currently no hafted weapons that work with Tactics: Dirty Fighting?

I have a handaxe, but it weighs four pounds and is a large hand-and-a-half weapon. When I examine my skinning knife, it says it is a small item but doesn't specify that it is "light". It does weigh less than two pounds.
"I saw one of those Shadgard folk come barging into Grif's and shoot one of the patrons on the spot. Shadgard must be a pretty rough place with such outlaws running rampant."
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Oh, that. You can't have anything over 2 pounds in either hand. And the combined weight can't be over 3 pounds.

You're going to have a pretty hard time doing it with anything other than a dagger or a brawling weapon.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Elystole

Post by Elystole »

Might I request the addition of wooden batons? It'd be great if they could be carved, but I'd be happy to purchase them too.

A 23-24" wooden baton weighs 1.25 to 1.33 pounds and since it is a stick I would expect it to handle more like a hafted weapon than anything else.
Elystole

Post by Elystole »

It turns out there is already an item that acts much like I would expect a baton to act. Thing is I've only seen them offered by a merchant once.
You carefully examine a knobbly shillelagh walking-stick...
This knobbly, dark walking-stick has a somewhat sinister look to it.
It is a medium-sized item, mainly made of blackthorn.
It could be wielded in melee combat with one hand, its effectiveness dependent on your Hafted Weapons skill.
It feels a bit awkward to wield, and you figure you could get up to 3 strikes per attack with it.
It would give you a slight advantage at parrying incoming blows.
It appears to be in good repair.
It appears to be of average quality.

After hefting the walking-stick a few times, you figure it weighs less than two pounds.
I think a baton would be shorter and have better balance, but I'd be pretty happy if something like this were available more often.
Kent

Post by Kent »

Did you try a hatchet or a carpenter's hammer?
- Kent "Gunney" Gunderman

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Elystole

Post by Elystole »

A work hammer is too heavy. A hatchet might work in a pinch but is a bit too heavy to be ideal.

That and I like the idea of beating people up with sticks when they are a nuisance then switching to a logging axe or sledge when something heavier is warranted.
Akila
Mentor

Post by Akila »

exa cane
You carefully examine a silver-capped black cane...
You see nothing particularly unusual about the silver-capped black cane.
It is a medium-sized item, mainly made of ash.
It could be wielded in melee combat with one hand, its effectiveness dependent on your Hafted Weapons skill.
It feels a bit awkward to wield, and you figure you could get up to 1 strike per attack with it.
It would give you a slight advantage at parrying incoming blows.
Roundtime: 3 seconds.

EHEng>
weigh cane
After hefting the cane a few times, you figure it weighs less than two pounds.
There you go! One light hafted weapon. I'm sure they're still able to be boughts somewhere.. I just can't remember where.
[CHAT - Mayor Bryce of Bryceburgh]: It's that funny metal thing you put in your mouth, Galon, and then it goes "Boing, doing, dwang, dwang, doing, ding, boing, dwahng."
04:06:02 [CHAT - Mayor Bryce of Bryceburgh]: You know, the thing Snoopy plays to help Charlie Brown remember "i before e, except after c"
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

Are normal, carvable walking sticks under two pounds?
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

You ask Tor for the details on a copper hatchet.

A small axe useful for chopping and splitting wood.

You see nothing particularly unusual about the copper hatchet.
It is a medium-sized item, mainly made of copper.
It could be used to knap stone.
It could be used to chop wood.
It could be hurled in combat, its effectiveness dependent on your Hurl Weapon skill.
It feels of average balance, and you figure you could get up to 2 strikes per attack with it.
It would be difficult to parry with.
It weighs 2.0 pounds.

Cost: 60 riln.
ask jes for date
The horse thief Jessie doesn't seem too interested in talking about that.
Elystole

Post by Elystole »

Kunren wrote:Are normal, carvable walking sticks under two pounds?
They are three pounds.

I could use one hatchet, but not two. I'll have to try it out.

Though hatchets say to me less "I'm going to rough you up," and more "I'm going to cleave your skull." That is what my handaxe is for.
Dorn

Post by Dorn »

Bumping this. It would be really awesome if the Shillaegh (or however you spell it) weapon type was added to crafting to provide a decent "hafted" practice weapon.

Metal cudgels/bars would also be a great little addition. Nothing says I'm going to "rough you up" as Elystole put it back in the day than a small bit of pig iron that you slip from your sleeve before you break their kneecap.
~Dorn
Uyoku takes a bite of her smelly skunk poop.
Akila
Mentor

Post by Akila »

Dorn wrote:Nothing says I'm going to "rough you up" as Elystole put it back in the day than a small bit of pig iron that you slip from your sleeve before you break their kneecap.
I've just had a mental image of ol' Victorian London. Jack the Ripper days!

But I would also like to see some lighter hafted we can use like a baton or truncheon about, either metal or wood.
[CHAT - Mayor Bryce of Bryceburgh]: It's that funny metal thing you put in your mouth, Galon, and then it goes "Boing, doing, dwang, dwang, doing, ding, boing, dwahng."
04:06:02 [CHAT - Mayor Bryce of Bryceburgh]: You know, the thing Snoopy plays to help Charlie Brown remember "i before e, except after c"

Return to “Weapons”