Gladius.

Solaje

Gladius.

Post by Solaje »

I would love to be able to hire someone to make a gladius (Roman shortsword). I thought these were already in the game because of the Italian-theme we have for the Viali.

(First weapon suggestion !!!)
Xyra

Re: Gladius.

Post by Xyra »

In what way is it different from a regular shortsword that would prevent you simply using a regular shortsword for your designs?
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

Believe this weapon is already covered under shortsword. Perhaps a GM could rename a shortsword to Gladius for you? I doubt it though... I just can't think of too much difference between the roman Gladius and our genetic shortsword.
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.
Solaje

Post by Solaje »

Yeah, I suppose it's just the name I like. Heh. I'm not a master of game mechanics, so not sure how it would be different.
Dorn

Post by Dorn »

There are a few cases of unique named weapon types. They're not always available outside of rare drops, even if the weapon base itself is not unique or via alterations. So. Good luck.
~Dorn
Uyoku takes a bite of her smelly skunk poop.
Xyra

Post by Xyra »

Solaje wrote:Yeah, I suppose it's just the name I like. Heh. I'm not a master of game mechanics, so not sure how it would be different.
But I mean from even a visual perspective, isn't shortsword basically just the medieval name for the same thing as the Romans had? How would you even know the difference between the two?
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

I MAY be mistaken but some clients can replace words with other words right? If not ignore me but if so you might be able to get someone to help you substitute with word shortsword with Gladius client side.
Xyra

Post by Xyra »

Some clients certainly can. I know mine can at least.
Dorn

Post by Dorn »

Xyra wrote:
Solaje wrote:Yeah, I suppose it's just the name I like. Heh. I'm not a master of game mechanics, so not sure how it would be different.
But I mean from even a visual perspective, isn't shortsword basically just the medieval name for the same thing as the Romans had? How would you even know the difference between the two?
Grip, blade width and cross-guard.
~Dorn
Xyra

Post by Xyra »

Hmmm, I thought the blade was a bit fatter, but that's all I could think of. Oh well, maybe this is exactly the right thing to do though, see if a GM wouldn't put it in for you. Could likely just be a 'reskinned' shortsword.
Dorn

Post by Dorn »

A shortsword, as we normally think of one, was more in proportion to a smaller longsword really. A gladius had a far thicker blade, a more rounded tip, a thicker grip and due to the two things above... a small cross-guard.
~Dorn
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

Dorn wrote:A shortsword, as we normally think of one, was more in proportion to a smaller longsword really. A gladius had a far thicker blade, a more rounded tip, a thicker grip and due to the two things above... a small cross-guard.
Game mechanic wise, that would likely mean a shortsword with much less chance to pierce, boosts to hack/slash damage, and MAYBE better balance? (Dunno if lack of crossguard would result in better or worse balance)
Solaje

Post by Solaje »

The gladius *looks* different to me, courtesy of a google image search. Beyond that, in a text based roleplaying game I enjoy variety in language. We have several different words for the color blue, too. I'll leave it to those better versed in weaponry to discuss further.

Edited to add: We have quite a few names for the dagger in Clok, too. Are they mechanically different?
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

Solaje wrote:The gladius *looks* different to me, courtesy of a google image search. Beyond that, in a text based roleplaying game I enjoy variety in language. We have several different words for the color blue, too. I'll leave it to those better versed in weaponry to discuss further.

Edited to add: We have quite a few names for the dagger in Clok, too. Are they mechanically different?
Yup
Dorn

Post by Dorn »

You could reduce the number of strikes due to weight, but up the damage, reduce slash but increase hack... lots of things.

I think the real matter is whether the name is appropriate to the setting. But considering a dacian falx is available (love those things, boo to being so rare) then there is definitely enough difference in the weapons themselves to have mechanical differences. Especially when you consider the fact that Clok sabres and broadswords are not that different in regards to their historical origins.
~Dorn

Return to “Weapons”