Crossbow Mechanic Suggestions

Vaylon

Crossbow Mechanic Suggestions

Post by Vaylon »

Currently, as implemented, when one reloads a crossbow, the process of drawing back the string and placing a bolt on the groove are the same action. I suggest, however, dividing the crossbow loading into two parts, much like a firearm is loaded: (1) the drawing and locking of the bowstring into place, which causes all the roundtime, and then (2) the placing of the bolt on the groove, which takes no roundtime and, like shot with firearms, can either be LOADed manually or be automatically triggered with the FIRE command. The reasons for this are manifold:

1. It just makes logical sense. I think the analogy to the process of loading CLOK firearms is quite apt: like loading powder, loading the crossbow is unwieldy and tedious and can't be easily undone -- but loading a bolt is like loading a shot into your firearm, which is easily done and undone, leading me to my next point.
2. It would give us the option to UNLOAD the crossbow if we decide to use a different type of bolt (if/when different types of bolts become available).
3. It would give people a way to know, without having to ask you or look at the room, that you're finished reloading the crossbow: once you finished cocking the bow, you could place a bolt on the crossbow and everyone would know you'd finished loading it and are no longer in roundtime.
"I hope you have not been leading a double life, pretending to be wicked and being really good all the time. That would be hypocrisy." - The Importance of Being Earnest, Oscar Wilde
Vaylon

Re: Crossbow Mechanic Suggestions

Post by Vaylon »

Oh, yes, and one other thing: I LOVE using my crossbow. I think it's great, and I can't wait to see what kind of things will happen as a result of crossbows. Thank you for implementing them.
"I hope you have not been leading a double life, pretending to be wicked and being really good all the time. That would be hypocrisy." - The Importance of Being Earnest, Oscar Wilde
Sneaky

Post by Sneaky »

I agree with Vaylon's suggestion, currently it just says you attempt to reload your crossbow, but then there's no finished loading message. I have a script that calculates rt and sends an end time print to the output window, but it's always a little off due to the server lag and what not. I'm also a little skeptical about the damage delt. I feel that it's too high, but those are just first impressions. I wouldn't be aposed to lowering it down a tad and raising accuracy a little more.
I've also noticed that my crossbow doesn't have a damage line when you examine it. Is this because it's not possible to repair them, or is this going to be a perk of using a crossbow.
[FROM Liani (OOC)]: It's an ice cream conehead
You also notice a bronze crossbow bolt (x8) and the corpse of a slender pale white cave drakolin.
Alila softly compliments, "Thank you for the story--you were all excellent."
[CHAT - Lore Hermit Rias (Retired) (Discord)]: @Alila is crazypants
Vaylon

Post by Vaylon »

Sneaky wrote:I've also noticed that my crossbow doesn't have a damage line when you examine it. Is this because it's not possible to repair them, or is this going to be a perk of using a crossbow.
Mine has a damage line; I've already damaged it, in fact:
You carefully examine a hefty black crossbow...
Carved from ebony this hefty crossbow was made to endure. There is a metal foot stirrup in the front to aid with loading and the lath is crafted from a strong piece of cobalt. This particular crossbow has a firearm type trigger possibly showing some Grummer influence. A leather shoulder strap is attached allowing it to be worn over one shoulder
This item is registered to you.
It is a medium-sized item, mainly made of ebony.
It can be worn in the shoulders inventory slot.
It could be wielded with two hands as an improvised melee weapon.
It feels clumsy, and you figure you could get up to 1 strike per attack with it.
You would not be able to parry with it.
It can be used to fire crossbow bolts, its effectiveness is dependent on your Crossbows skill.
It appears to be scuffed.
It appears to be of average quality.
Roundtime: 3 seconds.
Sneaky

Post by Sneaky »

Interesting, I wonder why it doesn't show up on mine.
You carefully examine a hefty black crossbow...
Carved from ebony this hefty crossbow was made to endure. There is a metal foot stirrup in the front to aid with loading and the lath is crafted from a strong piece of cobalt. This particular crossbow has a firearm type trigger possibly showing some Grummer influence. A leather shoulder strap is attached allowing it to be worn over one shoulder
This item is registered to you.
It is a medium-sized item, mainly made of ebony.
It can be worn in the shoulders inventory slot.
It could be wielded with two hands as an improvised melee weapon.
It feels clumsy, and you figure you could get up to 1 strike per attack with it.
You would not be able to parry with it.
It can be used to fire crossbow bolts, its effectiveness is dependent on your Crossbows skill.
It appears to be of average quality.
[FROM Liani (OOC)]: It's an ice cream conehead
You also notice a bronze crossbow bolt (x8) and the corpse of a slender pale white cave drakolin.
Alila softly compliments, "Thank you for the story--you were all excellent."
[CHAT - Lore Hermit Rias (Retired) (Discord)]: @Alila is crazypants
Noctere
Coder

Post by Noctere »

Crossbows will now say when they are done reloading (to everyone) unless it is toggled with the OPTIONS command.
It's not easy being evil...

Return to “Weapons”