Hatchets

Fayne

Hatchets

Post by Fayne »

So, I noticed today that Shadgard offers copper hatchets for sale. As far as I know, these are not sold anywhere else, I'm not sure that they can be made by Artisans (though I could be wrong), and they are only available in copper. I was wondering if we could at least get these customizable in Shadgard or perhaps sell them elsewhere, as they seem like a good alternative to using a handaxe for battle, as they have better balance, are a one-handed only weapon, and are lighter. I'd personally prefer to use them if I could get a more durable material.

Which does bring up another point. It seems to me like handaxes lose durability extremely fast. Doesn't matter whether I'm using ot to chop trees or fight infested, it seems like within a short couple of hours it is damaged or even unusable. In comparison, I've used a shortsword and rapier of the same material, steel, for hours and hours of combined use on another character, and they're still in good repair. Can we get the durability of handaxes looked at and possibly tweaked? I'd hate to have to own three or four sets of handaxes just so I always have at least one that is usable.
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.
Ardor

Re: Hatchets

Post by Ardor »

Hatchets can be made by artisans.
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

Well yay, looks like I need to order some. However, I was using one from Shadgard yesterday, just a plain copper one, and its durability is lasting incredibly longer than any handaxe I've ever used, and this is a copper hatchet compared to a steel handaxe. I definitely think handaxe durability needs to be looked at and tweaked.
Barius

Post by Barius »

Fayne wrote:Well yay, looks like I need to order some. However, I was using one from Shadgard yesterday, just a plain copper one, and its durability is lasting incredibly longer than any handaxe I've ever used, and this is a copper hatchet compared to a steel handaxe. I definitely think handaxe durability needs to be looked at and tweaked.
I've never had an issue with handaxes, myself.
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

Well, I think something is buggy when a copper hatchet outlasts a steel handaxe by double or triple.
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

Maybe hatchets in Shadgard need to be looked at, in that cause.
“There is always a choice."
"You mean I could choose certain death?"
"A choice nevertheless, or perhaps an alternative. You see I believe in freedom. Not many people do, although they will of course protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.”
Sneaky

Post by Sneaky »

As far as the ones in Shadgard go, are you using them to chop stuff, attack things with, or are you parrying a lot with them more than you are with the hatchet. I can say that I've used the hand axes for knapping and they lasted for as long as I expected them to. Hatchets and hand axes are also made differently, one I think is more blunted and designed for hacking through wood and stone, where an axe is generally sharper and designed for more precision hacking and chopping, and I think it's common sense that a sharper edge means more potential damage due to chipping and knicking. I could be totally wrong, but all things to consider I think.
[FROM Liani (OOC)]: It's an ice cream conehead
You also notice a bronze crossbow bolt (x8) and the corpse of a slender pale white cave drakolin.
Alila softly compliments, "Thank you for the story--you were all excellent."
[CHAT - Lore Hermit Rias (Retired) (Discord)]: @Alila is crazypants
Barius

Post by Barius »

Did some testing and while no, they don't lose durability fast, they come from the shop already battered. The bronze come scuffed. The iron and copper are fine.

Return to “Weapons”