Repairing Firearms

Elystole

Repairing Firearms

Post by Elystole »

I logged on today for a quick bit of shooting and discovered that my musket was scuffed. I wasn't worried as Rias had said that firearms were supposed to auto-repair until a different way to repair them was implemented, so I figured I'd try to get it repaired when I returned to town. I tried to have it repaired by my arms dealer, but I was told there weren't any repairs there. So I took it to Flint, but he can't repair it either. Neither can the blacksmith.

I still wouldn't be too concerned, except this happened a few times:
You point your musket at a lost soldier and pull the trigger, but nothing happens. You take a moment to adjust your musket.
Kind of cool, but do other weapons start suffering penalties as soon as they are scuffed? I'm not even opposed to it if I can get it repaired, though I hope there'd be PC gunsmithing soon because of how long NPCs take to repair things.
You overhear the following rumor:
"I saw one of those Shadgard folk come barging into Grif's and shoot one of the patrons on the spot. Shadgard must be a pretty rough place with such outlaws running rampant."
Kent

Re: Repairing Firearms

Post by Kent »

Elystole wrote:I logged on today for a quick bit of shooting and discovered that my musket was scuffed. I wasn't worried as Rias had said that firearms were supposed to auto-repair until a different way to repair them was implemented, so I figured I'd try to get it repaired when I returned to town. I tried to have it repaired by my arms dealer, but I was told there weren't any repairs there. So I took it to Flint, but he can't repair it either. Neither can the blacksmith.

I still wouldn't be too concerned, except this happened a few times:
You point your musket at a lost soldier and pull the trigger, but nothing happens. You take a moment to adjust your musket.
Kind of cool, but do other weapons start suffering penalties as soon as they are scuffed? I'm not even opposed to it if I can get it repaired, though I hope there'd be PC gunsmithing soon because of how long NPCs take to repair things.

Agreed. Bows should get 'scuffed' and need a new string, etc.

Actually, I think this whole idea of guns needing regular repairs is ill-begotten. What firearms need is not to be repaired, but cleaned at this level of frequency. Gun cleaning should take an NPC Gunsmith only 30 minutes to complete.
- Kent "Gunney" Gunderman

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

Actually, seeing as CLOK gun technology seems to still be in it's awkward teenage phase, then yeah, these guns require regular maintainence. In fact, we're kinda lucky these guns aren't more realistic, taking 30 seconds or more to reload, jamming up or just plain not working frequently, gunpowder that you have to pray works if it is humid or raining, not to mention ruined if you accidentally get it wet. Really, compared to their real-life equivilants, CLOK guns are on god mode.
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

Don't forget funky little explosions that lose people hands or fingers when too much gunpowder gets added ;)
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

And painful burns too.
Barius

Post by Barius »

...Seriously, why are gun users complaining again...?
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

You're right. It's ok to complain about other things, but guns is where I draw the line!
Barius

Post by Barius »

I'm glad you see things my way.
Elystole

Post by Elystole »

Fayne wrote:Actually, seeing as CLOK gun technology seems to still be in it's awkward teenage phase, then yeah, these guns require regular maintainence. In fact, we're kinda lucky these guns aren't more realistic, taking 30 seconds or more to reload, jamming up or just plain not working frequently, gunpowder that you have to pray works if it is humid or raining, not to mention ruined if you accidentally get it wet. Really, compared to their real-life equivilants, CLOK guns are on god mode.
All firearms, including modern ones, require maintenance. They require maintenance even if they are just sitting on your rack and are never fired. That isn't the problem, but if we wanted to beat firearms with the realism stick we'd need to smack the crap out of a bunch of other things and actually buff the amount of damage that firearms do. Firearms already have a few extra penalties that other weapons don't have.

The complaint isn't that firearms require maintenance (and cleaning is a form of maintenance). The complaint is that firearms require maintenance, but that there is no way to perform that maintenance. See my quote below.
Elystole wrote:I tried to have it repaired by my arms dealer, but I was told there weren't any repairs there. So I took it to Flint, but he can't repair it either. Neither can the blacksmith.
I have absolutely no qualms about needing to clean my firearms between hunts and turn them into the armorer for repairs if I neglect that or they're just due for some maintenance. I will be all over a PC gunsmithing skill so that I can maintain my own equipment. The problem is that Rias told me in the Skype call that firearms are supposed to auto-magically repair themselves until he implements a way for PCs to get them repaired. Somehow auto-repair got turned off while the condition penalties got turned on and left us in the lurch.
"I saw one of those Shadgard folk come barging into Grif's and shoot one of the patrons on the spot. Shadgard must be a pretty rough place with such outlaws running rampant."
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

From my previous experiences with auto-repairing, that doesn't happen until the item is very damaged and then it basically resets itself. I'm not sure if you want to test that with your gun or not without knowing for sure if it's enabled, but that's how it used to work for other weapons back in the day.
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

I agree with Kiya. It is likely auto-repairs are on, but so is damage, and the only way to get it repaired is to use it to the point where it would normally be unusable.

Also, Ely, I wasn't arguing against you, I was responding to Kent's claim that firearms shouldn't need repairs. I do agree with him that bows should get damage, but that's another thread.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Sorry for the late response. Yes, all weapons suffer at scuffed. Melee damage goes down as a weapon degrades. Firearm misfire chance goes up as a weapon degrades. Firearms will auto-reset once they get to a certain level of degradation (with no chance of quality loss) until we implement firearm repairs.
The lore compels me!
Elystole

Post by Elystole »

Rias wrote:Sorry for the late response. Yes, all weapons suffer at scuffed. Melee damage goes down as a weapon degrades. Firearm misfire chance goes up as a weapon degrades. Firearms will auto-reset once they get to a certain level of degradation (with no chance of quality loss) until we implement firearm repairs.
Is it a bug that players (but not NPCs) can repair firearms at the forge? Does repairing the firearms mess with your testing?
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

It's a bug. Squashed.

Anyone who did it probably messed up the quality and max durability of their items, too.
The lore compels me!
Elystole

Post by Elystole »

I checked the changelog, but I didn't see anything about repairing firearms being implemented. Is there an update concerning keeping our boomsticks in working order?

Return to “Weapons”