Arrow Suggestions

Fayne

Arrow Suggestions

Post by Fayne »

So, I was just pondering on arrows a bit, and I've come up with a few suggestions that I think would improve archery.

First, about arrows streaking into the distance. I understand this idea; it gives archery a drawback, since bows aren't damaged from firing them. It means you have to keep track of how many arrows you have at all times, and be sure not to run out. However, this happens even in indoor areas. If I'm fighting in Tarueka' farmhouse, I can see two or three of my arrows go streaking off into the distance, which really only makes sense if I happened to fire my arrow straight through an open window. The same thinv happens when in the Dusklamp Tunnels or the tunnel below the caravan. In these areas, arrows streaking off into the distance is pretty much impossible. My suggestion: instead of streaking off inro the distance or just plain not disappearing while indoors, why not say they strike the wall or a stone or something hard and break? If it is a knapped broadhead on the end, hitting something hard would shatter the broadhead, and with metal tips, either the sharp edge is going to be dented to the point of being worthless, or the shaft of the arrow could break. Now, when you're underground, most of the time it's darker than it is elsewhere in the world. So, another possibility instead of breaking is having them disappear from view in the low lighting.
One more thing I wanted to suggest on this before moving on the possibility to randomly stumble upon arrows while foraging. Most of these arrows would be below-average quality, since they have likely been sitting for a while, walked and trampled on, and who knows what elsw, but maybe average, above-average, or even exquisite could rarely be found as well.

Now, on to the next point. I think it would be cool for metal and stone arrowheads to have their own special properties. For instance, metal arrowheads can be bodkins, which can pierce armor (though I do not know if this is supported mechanically or not). What if stone arrowheads could be knocked loose or even shatter upon being lodged in an enemies body or when they try to remove them? If they became lodged in a player, it would have the same effect as having the whole arrow lodged in them, except they would need a knife in order to pry the arrowhead out. Same thing for shattered heads, except perhaps a little longer RT to remove them, plus no arrowhead to save afterward.
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.
blindndangerous

Re: Arrow Suggestions

Post by blindndangerous »

I think that I mentioned the indoor arrows flying away once when i was in a mill with the door closed and I lost several arrows because of them streaking away. I do agree with you with that, and i like your other suggestions.
A towering white-furred snow yeti exclaims, "Oog!"
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

I definitely agree that when fighting in an enclosed area, there could be the high possibility that an arrow or two can be redeemed, even if it's a bit damaged.
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

Another thing that really gets on my nerves with arrows is when they are blocked by a shield and still fly off into the distance. That shouldn't happen, the arrow should fall to ground or become lodged in the shield or something depending on material.
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.

Return to “Weapons”