Javelin and Pilum

Alexander

Javelin and Pilum

Post by Alexander »

I have often considered what ranged option I might use to lead off a battle. At times I have been tempted to take up the bow and arrow, but I would like to request consideration for the implementation of the javeiln. Spears can currently be thrown, but cannot be stowed in containers except the specialized pole harness, in which only a single spear will fit. The javelin could perhaps be smaller and lighter than the spear, with a javelin-quiver able to hold two or three, and while being terrible in melee combat, could do comparable damage to a spear when thrown.

A heavier throwing polearm option would be the pilum. While long and unwieldly and unideal in melee when compared to other polearms designed for such use, the pilum could be used primarily as a single leading powerful thrown attack before closing to engage in melee. Being typically six to seven feet long, a warrior would carry only one, whereas with javelins up to three could be brought, allowing the choice between a single powerful attack, or choosing multiple weaker projectiles.

And in truth, I very much enjoy the idea of hurling javelins from horseback. Perhaps a slight increase to the damage potential when used this way, similar to a charge. Those knowledgable in physics can point out any error in this line of thinking, if there be any.
(Alexander clenches a fist momentarily, then stops and calms himself with visible effort.)
[FROM Eira (OOC)]: LET IT OUT, MAN!
Rias
Lore Hermit

Re: Javelin and Pilum

Post by Rias »

Javelins and pilums added to:
- Mistral Lake: Gheistbane Arms
- Corvus Outpost: Weapons Storeroom
- Valeria: Armory
- Shadgard: Templar Armory (guild-only)
- Dwaedn Vil: Bearclaw Arms (guild-only)

They're designed to be hurled, and while they can be used in melee, they're not ideal compared to dedicated melee polearms.
The lore compels me!
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Thank you very much. One additional request if I may: a large back quiver for multiple javelins. The pilum fits nicely in a pole harness.
(Alexander clenches a fist momentarily, then stops and calms himself with visible effort.)
[FROM Eira (OOC)]: LET IT OUT, MAN!
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

"But Rias," you say, "I tried out a pilum and it was totally wussy and lame, not even seeming to outperform the wimpy smaller javelin!"

I hang my head in shame. The majority of pilums (pila?) out there were incorrectly designed to be based on the javelin template instead of the pilum one. I am sorry. I was wrong.

The ones sold in shops have been fixed. If you have one already, EXAMINE it. If it says it's a type of javelin instead of a type of pilum, send a REPORT and ask for it to be fixed by a GM. Or if you're impatient (like me), just toss your old one and go buy a new one. I promise: you will not be disappointed in the performance of a correctly-designed pilum when hurled at a foe.
The lore compels me!

Return to “Weapons”