Spears

Vertebrate

Spears

Post by Vertebrate »

Looking back through history it seems that behind the sword (in advanced cultures) the spear has been a primary weapon in almost every culture in history. Polearms seem to have evolved as heavy armor made spears less useful to footmen. Polehammers were effective against plate and poleaxes/halberds were heavy hitters too. Pikes were also great against cavalry.

Why was the spear so widespread? It was very effective. I think that Clok has it right in setting the quarterstaff to 4 attacks and excellent parrying, but I think the spear is a bit underpowered here even though it can be used in one or two hands unlike other poles. The spear is like a qusrterstaff with a blade. The spear should not hit as hard as some of the pole weapons, especially against armor, but it should probably get max 3 attacks, or be better suited for parrying-- to better set spears apart from the glaive/voulge/halberd. What do you guys think?
Lysse

Re: Spears

Post by Lysse »

I don't really see how polearms are underpowered on the game. I'd argue that it's one of the best weapon types in the game. Hafted are better for damage, sure. But overall, polearms are superior. They already parry excellently overall, and do excellent damage.

I personally prefer my stone spears over handaxes usually, especially coupled with a shield.
“There is always a choice."
"You mean I could choose certain death?"
"A choice nevertheless, or perhaps an alternative. You see I believe in freedom. Not many people do, although they will of course protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.”
Vertebrate

Post by Vertebrate »

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I wasn't advocating to improve polearms. I was advocating that spears become more like the quarterstaff in its ability to parry and pummel. The reason I say this is because 1. Historical accuracy 2. Martial fidelity

Spears are a hybrid of polearm and quarterstaff. There are 2 skills in Clock: polearm and quarterstaff. The spear is much more like the quarterstaff than the polehammer or halberd is. I'm not saying that the spear should be converted to a quarterstaff based skill. I'm saying the spear should be more like the quarterstaff in parrying and attacking: maybe 3 attacks and better parrying than what it is now. Pikes and lances should be more like polearms: slower, heavier.
Dactor
preiman
CLOK Patron

Post by preiman »

not sure about that, used a spear from time to time in my life, and not sure about getting 3 attacks with it, but being able to brace it against mounted opponents or something like that might be nice.
"I don't think we're ever going to find out what is going on with these canim, where are they coming from?!"
Kent arrives from the southeast.
Kent hugs you.
say um
You say, "Um."
a Mistral Lake sentry arrives from the east, armor clanking.
Kent heads north.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Spears do already get a significant dodge bonus (typical polearm thing due to distance) as well as parry bonus (due to being more staff-like than other head-heavy polearms), and they do get those fun haft smacks pretty often.
The lore compels me!
Vertebrate

Post by Vertebrate »

I like the updates to the heavy-hitter poles today. They have set spears and halbreds further apart, which is good news. Polehammers, poleaxes, and those heavy hitters are truly devastating weapons designed for defeating/damaging plate armor and armored heavy cavalry. They're poor for parrying light weapons and decent for controlling proximity in a melee...

although not as useful at controlling proximity as a spear wielded in 2 hands- the king of proximity control and a solid weapon for parrying anything, with an ability to land numerous blows in quick secession at various proximities. Motivating!
Dactor

Return to “Weapons”