Shields

Kiyaani

Shields

Post by Kiyaani »

So far, you can block with shields using normal defensive rolls and you can set tactics to have a chance to only block with shields instead of sharing with dodge or parry (which helps training go a bit faster) but it doesn't seem there are any offensive things you can do with a shield. You can shove for super minimal damage, but while in tactics block your odds of hitting anything with that are pretty low, and you do have a random chance to bash with the shield while attacking with your main weapon, but nothing really controlled or deliberate.

It also seems you can't shove a ghost with a shield. Maybe this is because they're not solid and the shove command has the chance to knock someone over, but I would think shoving a giant piece of iron or steel at a ghost would damage them more than slicing at them with a weapon.

I'm starting this thread mostly because I couldn't find another one with ideas for how to add more abilities to use with shields or at least some other form of attack like how you can punch, jab, kick for brawling - perhaps slam, bash, hurl, slice etc. And no, this doesn't mean I want to be Captain America, but there could reasonably be more you can do with them than use them for blocking.

If there was already a thread started, please feel free to move this over. I welcome any thoughts and input since I really do like the idea of shields being more actively used.
Alexander

Re: Shields

Post by Alexander »

Excellent suggestions. I am not so sure about hurling or slicing with a shield, but being able to at least deliberately bash with a shield on command would be quite nice. More damage than a shove, but no knockdown. Perhaps a chance to stun and inflict a few seconds of roundtime.

On the subject of shields, I would like to suggest non-rimmed wooden shields being able to disarm edged weapons that are blocked with them. From what I understand, this was a technique used historically - wooden shields used specifically because a blade could become embedded in the shield (typically the rim), at which point the shield-bearer could pull or twist the shield to jerk the weapon free of the attacker's hands. Naturally this would do a good deal of damage to the shield, so as a trade-off for this ability, the shields would degrade and break fairly quickly when this occurs, and without any means of repair.
(Alexander clenches a fist momentarily, then stops and calms himself with visible effort.)
[FROM Eira (OOC)]: LET IT OUT, MAN!
Kiyaani

Re: Shields

Post by Kiyaani »

I was just throwing out general attack commands that are sometimes used. Hurl I think would depend on the shield type, but I could see someone grabbing a shield and throwing it at someone. Slice was more if you have a sharpened edge so you'd swing the edge at someone between blocks, as more of an off-hand attack or followthrough. I do like your idea about wooden shields as well.

Kinda long, but interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkhpqAGdZPc (sword/shield use)

Return to “Weapons”