Getting a crafted dagger/stiletto...which do I pick ?

Lemuel

Getting a crafted dagger/stiletto...which do I pick ?

Post by Lemuel »

My character is looking to spend some considerable money on a dagger or stiletto, the trouble is, I have no idea what the practical difference is between the two.

Someone told me to buy a dagger in the shops, and a stiletto, and compare them; here I am not convinced that an in-shop dagger corresponds to one that Ardor or Collins could masterfully forge, and the same for stilettos. The game developers/coders of the shop items may not have used the same specs as they used for PC's in their workshops; especially if different coders worked on each area...their varying effects may be disproportionate.

Can you tell me what I would expect from a masterfully-forged steel dagger in a number of rounds of combat, followed by a number of rounds of combat using a masterfully-forged steel stiletto, both hammered out by a player character ?

The only guess I might have is that one does a bit more base damage, and the other gets into armor chinks easier, but this is a raw speculation.
- locksmith Lemuel 'I do all my own stunts.'

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

All weapons use the same base weapon template regardless of whether they are store-bought or player-crafted. It would be silly of us to make crafted weapons have different base attributes than store-bought weapons of the same type. Crafted weapons simply have a quality rating which results in slight bonuses or penalties to existing attributes.

In CLOK, Stilettos are round-, diamond-, or triangle-bladed and relatively short, and thus only do pierce damage, are harder to parry and dodge with (being short and thin), and are better at chinking armor. Daggers are assumed to be longer and fairly broad-bladed. They do slash damage as well as pierce and because of that have a slightly lower overall average damage potential than stilettos since slash is generally more reduced by armor than pierce. They also have lesser defensive penalties than stilettos.
The lore compels me!
Landion

Post by Landion »

As the person who coded blacksmithing, I'll second what Rias said.

Bonuses provided to daggers or stilettos would be identical by the forging system. Testing with a regular one of each would be a very accurate way to see which you prefered for your character.

Each have benefits and disadvantages.
No longer GMing for CLOK.
Lemuel

Post by Lemuel »

[quote=Rias]
In CLOK, Stilettos are round-, diamond-, or triangle-bladed and relatively short, and thus only do pierce damage, are harder to parry and dodge with [/quote]

You're saying some weapons make dodge easier? As a one- time fencer, I grasp how a parry can be weapon dependant; however I cannot picture in my mind how a weapon type would factor into a dodge, other than a much heavier weapon like a sledge hammer making it tougher to dodge.

If someone could explain it to me, I would be grateful.

I do appreciate the other info provided by Rithiel and Landion.
Last edited by Lemuel on Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Skjotur

Post by Skjotur »

A stiletto is really small so you have to get in closer to fight. Harder to dodge. A spear has a long reach, you can keep further away from your opponent while still attacking from that distance. Easier to dodge.
Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and numbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear the coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me - I am happy.
-Hamlin Garland
Lemuel

Post by Lemuel »

[quote=Skjotur]A stiletto is really small so you have to get in closer to fight. Harder to dodge. A spear has a long reach, you can keep further away from your opponent while still attacking from that distance. Easier to dodge.[/quote]

Ah, thanks ! I didn't think of it that way. I suppose one could say that a "feint" would be included in some dodges.
Last edited by Lemuel on Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Weapons”