Weapon Skill abilities

Druidic warriors seeking perfection through physical prowess.
Deraxian

Weapon Skill abilities

Post by Deraxian »

The first thing I did when I joined the Dwaedn Wyr was comment on how they have no basic training. I have seen other guilds that offer basic training, but from what I can tell, some guilds have this option and some don't. Mercenaries probably have the most.

I'm not seeking "equality" between the guilds, if we were to go down that path we would constantly be nerfing or buffing everything until everyone was so "balanced" that no one really feels unique anymore and we're all just the same cookie cutter adventurers. Rather each guild should be a unique experience and playstyle.

With that said though, if they did ever get some sort of training to increase weapon skills, what would it be?

Some thoughts...

Option 1: Basic Training(The cheap and easy route)
50 Melee
50 Brawling
50 Swords
50 Hafted Weapons

Adjust existing abilities to have Basic Training as a pre-requisite. Adjust existing skill pre-requisites for abilities to account for this (increase brawling requirement for Bear Claw and Mighty Throw, since right now I think they are like 10 and 20 respectively.

Option 2: Specialized training (My preference)
Rather than having one flat basic training option, perhaps have various tiers of specialized combat training, each could offer a (smaller) permanent skill increase along with a minor passive such as reduced energy cost when using that type of weapon.

Examples:

Tier 1:

Cub's Paw
The Dwaedn warrior becomes more attuned with the Bear Spirit and becomes more efficient at unarmed combat.
(+25 to Brawling, -1 to energy cost when attacking unarmed or with brawling weapons)
Pre-Req: Bear Claw

Pup's Bite
The Dwaedn warrior becomes more attuned with the Wolf Spirit and becomes more efficient at swordplay.
(+25 to Swords, -1 energy cost when attacking with swords)
Pre-Req: ??? (Need some new low-end skill modeled after the wolf..)

Calf's Strength
The Dwaedn warrior becomes more attuned with the Bison Spirit, and becomes more efficient at using hafted weapons.
(+25 to Hafted Weapons, -1 energy cost when attacking with hafted weapons)
Pre-Req: ??? (I suggest adding a new ability named after the bison, which makes the Dwaedn able to negate or at least partially mitigate the penalties of fighting while injured, make that a pre-requisite for this)

Tier 2:
Bear's Paw
The Dwaedn warrior becomes more attuned with the Bear Spirit and becomes more effecient at unarmed combat.
(+50 to brawling, brawling minimum damage increased by 20%)
Pre-Req: Cub's Paw, 75 Brawling

Wolf's Bite
The Dwaedn warrior becomes more attuned with the Wolf Spirit and becomes more efficient at swordplay.
(+50 to Swords, sword minimum damage increased by 20%)
Pre-Req: Pup's Bite, 75 Swords

Bison's Strength
The Dwaedn warrior becomes more attuned with the Bison Spirit, and becomes more efficient at using hafted weapons.
(+50 to Hafted Weapons, hafted weapon minimum damage increased by 20%)
Pre-Req: Calf's Strength, 75 Hafted Weapons

Tier 3: Great Bear's Paw
The Dwaedn warrior becomes more attuned with the Bear Spirit and becomes more effecient at unarmed combat.
(+100 to brawling, brawling maximum damage increased by 20%, -1 to attack RT while attacking unarmed or with brawling weapons.)
Pre-Req: Bear's Paw, 200 Brawling

Elder Wolf's Bite
(+100 Swords, sword maximum damage increased by 20%, -1 to attack RT while attacking with swords.)
Pre-Req: Wolf's Bite, 200 Swords

Great Bison's Strength
(+100 Hafted weapons, hafted weapon maximum damage increased by 20%, -1 to attack RT while attacking with hafted weapons.)

As for daggers, well, I can't really see the average Dwaedn using them. Chained weapons on the other hand... could be, I'm just not sure what animal to tie that to yet. You get the general picture though.

As for the other skill suggestion I tossed in there, well, I'm not asking to be made any more durable or anything, that would be very un-Dwaedn Wyr. Injury fatality would still occur at the normal rate, just that we wouldn't be as affected by them before that point.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

The poor Dwaedn Wyr haven't seen much dev love since there haven't been any active members till recently. Along with basic training ideas, I've got a few others in mind that I think are pretty spiffy. I'll get cracking on those.
The lore compels me!
Deraxian

Post by Deraxian »

Speaking of Dwaedn Wyr and dev love... is Selene actually active? I think that's the only GM I haven't met yet. I'd love to hear from him/her (her?) and see what the plans are for the future of this guild.
Makkah

Post by Makkah »

Was thinking a generic "Savage Combat" ability... adds 50 to hafted, swords, brawling, and melee. Simple but brutal weaponry. Maybe hurled also.

Return to “Dwaedn Wyr”