Salt Flats, Desert of Desolation, Obsidian Crags

Rias
Lore Hermit

Salt Flats, Desert of Desolation, Obsidian Crags

Post by Rias »

(Note: this is all considered a retcon. That means your characters should assume this is the way thing shave always been, and not talk about areas magically moving to a different part of the world as if it were IC)

Eidhmorh Salt Flats: You can get to these salt flats from a trail in the mountains of southeastern Dry Prairie (that's the barren area southwestish of Shadgard). You can forage for salt here.

Desert of Desolation: This area is no longer reached via Stone Canyon. It's now reached via the Salt Flats. Also, the area has been changed from its original form - it's no longer a maze that assumes it's always super windy and hot, and now has its own weather station. The basilisks and scorpions are here, and are unchanged from their original implementation.

Obsidian Crags: This is reached via the new Desert of Desolation. The only changes this area has undergone are some minor room description changes.

Why was this done?

First off, it was very odd to have a hot, sandy desert literally right next to a freezing subalpine mountain lake.

Second off, we wanted the Desert and Crags to be accessible to people without problems from Hyra in Stone Canyon.

Third off, yay for salt flats and ... what's in them.

Have fun!
The lore compels me!
Dorn

Re: Salt Flats, Desert of Desolation, Obsidian Crags

Post by Dorn »

Fun fun. Those golems are pretty neat. The spectres were just a nasty surprise though. :(
~Dorn
Uyoku takes a bite of her smelly skunk poop.
Sneaky

Post by Sneaky »

Just want to say I'm super happy about this.
One thing I've noticed so far though is that the salt flats don't have any terrain information in the interface bar at the top. It shows the environment as outside and desert, but it's missing terrain. Judging by the descriptions I'd say it should be rocky. Only reason why I'm reporting this is because my soundpack uses the interface bar to play sounds according to the terrain to indicate what is there. Anyway, great retcon.
[FROM Liani (OOC)]: It's an ice cream conehead
You also notice a bronze crossbow bolt (x8) and the corpse of a slender pale white cave drakolin.
Alila softly compliments, "Thank you for the story--you were all excellent."
[CHAT - Lore Hermit Rias (Retired) (Discord)]: @Alila is crazypants
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

The flats are an enjoyable alternative to Thaelsh, offering a bit of choice and variety. It is also good to be able to visit the Crags without disturbing the Hyra. Thank you.
(Alexander clenches a fist momentarily, then stops and calms himself with visible effort.)
[FROM Eira (OOC)]: LET IT OUT, MAN!
sona

Post by sona »

This is an awesome retcon. Yaaay
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

I got to see some of these areas last night. I can't wait to put on some plate and die. :)
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
Lun
CLOK Patron

Post by Lun »

Those salt golems are terrifying.
I love it, and I haven't even explored most of the place yet. It really gives a feeling of "Oh, wow, this is the kind of fun I can expect at higher tiers..."

My favorite part is the multiple transformation sequences of the salt golems. I've always felt that transforming enemies was something that the game needed more of. If only it was the opposite, where it looks dinky and it slowly turns terrifying. "This isn't even my final form!"

Return to “Hunting Areas”