Possibly Dumb Combat Question

Mafuane

Possibly Dumb Combat Question

Post by Mafuane »

Newbie here, loving Clok so far but had a bit of a question I might have answered myself;
I assume being an Elemancer/Ranged Archery combination is not plausible unless in a group?
My brief attempts in archery shows I'll be engaged in combat by myself, so relying on ranged alone and adding more range spells isn't a good idea? Unless in a group where I would not be the main baddies target.

Still very new and would like to join the University of Elemancers, just trying to think of how to survive efficiently when I pick this route.
Apologies if this is supposed to be an IC question.
Thank you for your help and understanding.
Noctere
Coder

Re: Possibly Dumb Combat Question

Post by Noctere »

Welcome to CLOK, always glad to see a new face around. As to your questions, let me think.
I assume being an Elemancer/Ranged Archery combination is not plausible unless in a group?
Answer: It is a plausible combo but not a great mix from a game or a lore perspective. Game wise, you don't really need more ranged attack methods, one or the other will do. Lore wise, the Elemancers aren't that much into physical combat. They are mostly into their studies and as a result of those studies they will gain some very useful combat prowess but that is not their true goal. This method of attack would not be discouraged per se but it is not encouraged either. So if an elemancer wanted to use a sword for example. It will not be considered a very elemancer thing to do but you would not penalized for it either. Although, another who studies elemancy might make fun of you for it or make comments in regards to it.
My brief attempts in archery shows I'll be engaged in combat by myself, so relying on ranged alone and adding more range spells isn't a good idea? Unless in a group where I would not be the main baddies target.
Answer: Trying learning the tactics ranged ability. (general ability). It will place you back into a ranged postion during combat if you are forced into melee range. Which will make ranged combat very suitable for solo gameplay. By the way, spells can be used from point blank range, bows cannot.
It's not easy being evil...
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

Good suggestions, Noctere! Tactics: Guerilla is the ability. Ranged is one anyone can do. But regardless, it is SUPER handy for archery and I would highly recommend it if that's the route you want to pursue. http://clok.contrarium.net/index.php?ti ... :_Guerilla. You might also want to try playing around with different types of bows. Short bows have a shorter roundtime than the larger bows, but do less damage. If you're planning on not wearing armor and play ranged without a party then you might also want to try some defensive abilities like Tumble. http://clok.contrarium.net/index.php?title=Tumble. It is entirely possible to play ranged without the use of a group, just a bit more challenging depending on what you're up against.

Also, welcome to Clok :)
Mafuane

Post by Mafuane »

Thank you! :)
Basically Elemancers can hold their own with spells alone and it looks silly to need any other assistance via weapons right? I went over the spells again and they seem pretty useful for running away from something too big or attacking directly. Guerilla and Tumble look a little daunting to me right now with their prerequisites, but that's what training is for.
It notes a drain on energy, so would it be silly in-game-wise to say, use a bow until a spell is absolutely necessary, instead of a combination simultaneously?
Tangela
CLOK Patron

Post by Tangela »

seconding the tactics guerilla ability. It has saved my character so many times
preiman
CLOK Patron

Post by preiman »

A lot of magic users also opt for staves as a weapon because it can greatly add to their melee defense, without negatively impacting their spellcasting
"I don't think we're ever going to find out what is going on with these canim, where are they coming from?!"
Kent arrives from the southeast.
Kent hugs you.
say um
You say, "Um."
a Mistral Lake sentry arrives from the east, armor clanking.
Kent heads north.

Return to “General Hunting and Combat”