Dodge Gains

Elystole

Dodge Gains

Post by Elystole »

What is considered the acceptable tolerances for skill gains?

It seems like learning dodge has been made even more difficult than it already was. I use the CLOK Mudlet plugin and have my training skills favorited so that I can watch them on the Skills/Effects tab while I train, and I've noticed that I am only getting dodge gains when I tumble. The gap between myself and what is attacking me isn't that large: The game flags their attacks with a single negative sign (-). Sometimes a double negative (--).

That used to teach, and the gap is so small that I would expect it to continue teaching. I'm actually taking a lot of damage because of how often they are hitting me with their multiple attacks per round. Plus, if tumble still teaches dodge, wouldn't normal attacks teach?

If I can only learn dodge from things that are exactly my skill level... Well. The grind is wretched. Do we really want it to be made to feel even more like work?
You overhear the following rumor:
"I saw one of those Shadgard folk come barging into Grif's and shoot one of the patrons on the spot. Shadgard must be a pretty rough place with such outlaws running rampant."
Acarin

Re: Dodge Gains

Post by Acarin »

If you're in tactic offense, you will no longer get dodge gains. I believe that happened while you were out. It's possible that you're still getting very minor gains from tumble as I think that it still works in tactics offense (but seems to be off the normal challenge roll). I haven't noticed this issue in tactic dodge or tactic none myself.
Dorn

Post by Dorn »

I've noticed it. Some things just refuse to give me gains. Sometimes there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. Of course, I don't know everything that goes on behind the scenes, can just look at the open numbers.
~Dorn
Uyoku takes a bite of her smelly skunk poop.
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

Dorn wrote:I've noticed it. Some things just refuse to give me gains. Sometimes there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. Of course, I don't know everything that goes on behind the scenes, can just look at the open numbers.
Ditto on this. Sometimes I don't get gains for weeks, and then something happens that gives me a teeny tiny something. I try to replicate it and nothing happens. It's particularly frustrating when I fight things that should, reasonably, give me some decent gain but don't.
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
preiman
CLOK Patron

Post by preiman »

your armor might have something to do with that too, I know if you wouldn't get gains without the armor on, you won't with it.
"I don't think we're ever going to find out what is going on with these canim, where are they coming from?!"
Kent arrives from the southeast.
Kent hugs you.
say um
You say, "Um."
a Mistral Lake sentry arrives from the east, armor clanking.
Kent heads north.
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

preiman wrote:your armor might have something to do with that too, I know if you wouldn't get gains without the armor on, you won't with it.
Praise be
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.
Elystole

Post by Elystole »

I was unarmored and in Tactic: None. I can't think of anything else that would prevent me from getting dodge gains.
"I saw one of those Shadgard folk come barging into Grif's and shoot one of the patrons on the spot. Shadgard must be a pretty rough place with such outlaws running rampant."
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

Did you have any other penalties to your dodge skill? I seem to recall that if your skill penalties exceed a certain threshold, you'll stop gaining skill.
“There is always a choice."
"You mean I could choose certain death?"
"A choice nevertheless, or perhaps an alternative. You see I believe in freedom. Not many people do, although they will of course protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.”
Elystole

Post by Elystole »

I had no penalties to my skills.

Return to “General Hunting and Combat”