Examine in combat

Methiur

Examine in combat

Post by Methiur »

Are there any thoughts on making weapons and armor more complex? When I examine an item right now I don't see any difference between and iron-mace versus a copper one versus a bronze one and so on. My thoughts are that weapons can be forged with different characteristics. A poorly made short sword for example may not have a sharp edge but that would in-turn increase it's bludgeoning capabilities, albeit slightly. Perhaps this already exists on the back-end or I don't know enough about the game to be able to tell the difference.

ARMOR (current):
You carefully examine some broken leather greaves...
You see nothing particularly unusual about the broken leather greaves.
It is a medium-sized item, mainly made of leather.
It can be worn on the legs.
It is a protective garment, classified as leather armor.
It appears to be in good repair.
It appears to be of terrible quality.

ARMOR (suggestion)
You carefully examine some broken leather greaves and see nothing particularly unusual about them. (look)
It is a protective garment classified as leather armor, medium-sized, worn on the legs and weighs x pounds. (characteristics)
It is terrible quality and offers the following protection: (protection / offensive values - may also remove "terrible quality" as it will be plain to the person examining the object it is no good)
Piercing: Terrible
Slashing: Fair
Bludgeon: Poor
It is in good repair. (status)

Perhaps including a range like this which is essentially a 0 - 10 scale:
[None < Terrible < Bad < Poor < Fair < Decent < Good < Excellent < Epic < Legendary < God-like]
Rias
Lore Hermit

Re: Examine in combat

Post by Rias »

I like the idea to show a little more info on what the armor protects from, and how effectively. Condensing the other info into single lines might be a little trickier, since it works that way for all items, not just armor, so a bunch of exceptions and special casing would have to be added.
The lore compels me!
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Oh, and current differences between the metals is that copper will degrade far faster than, say, steel. So you're going to get less damage out of the copper weapon, since its damage rating will be doing down more quickly along with its durability rating as it's used. You'll also be spending more time/money repairing the copper one and, as a result, its quality is going to be going down more rapidly from constant repairs, further reducing its overall damage potential compared to one made of a more durable material, like steel.
The lore compels me!
Methiur

Post by Methiur »

Awesome! Thanks for the reply Rias. :)
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Display of protection levels against common attack types is implemented. Bring on the balance complaints about armor protection levels.

No, I won't give exact numbers to go along with the various verbal descriptors of protection levels.

Code: Select all

You see nothing particularly unusual about the copper plate greaves.
It is a medium-sized item, mainly made of copper.
It can be worn on the legs.
It is a protective garment, classified as plate armor, and would afford the following levels of protection:
   Rake: Nigh Impervious
   Slash: Nigh Impervious
   Pierce: Excellent
   Bludgeon: Excellent
   Crush: Good
   Hack: Excellent
It appears to be in good repair.
It appears to be of average quality.
It weighs 6.0 pounds.
The lore compels me!
Methiur

Post by Methiur »

No need on specific numbers. This is excellent! It looks like you've used some different terminology there, would putting the scale up on the wiki be helpful though?
Vertebrate

Post by Vertebrate »

I really like this direction.
Dactor

Return to “General Hunting and Combat”