Unarmed Blocking/Parry

Nootau

Unarmed Blocking/Parry

Post by Nootau »

Is there a reason why you cannot block or parry a unarmed punch while unarmed? I see why blocking blades or weapons would be a bad idea but an unarmed punch being blocked or swatted away would be reasonable.
Acarin

Re: Unarmed Blocking/Parry

Post by Acarin »

I think that the terms "block" and "parry" need to be more thoroughly defined by the GMs as they can easily get confused. You can technically both "block" and "parry" with a sword, however I think in CLOK context blocking only applies to shields for the sake of simplicity. So you're asking to be able to parry punches? You can if you're a monk or shar. They're really the only ones who are actually "trained" in how to brawl, but I would agree that this should be available to everyone who is unarmed (although not as effective).
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Block = with a shield
Parry = with a weapon
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

I would like to ask why you cannot parry with an unarmed weapon? I can see not being able to parry a sword with your bare-hands, but with a gauntlet or other such unarmed weapon I would think it would be feasible. Just something that has really been bothering me as a brawler who didn't choose to join one of the guilds with bladeslap.
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Using a gauntlet to "parry" by simply interposing the gauntleted hand between yourself and the blow would essentially be guaranteeing them a blow to your hand for that attack. Blade Slap is a specialized technique involving slapping a weapon blow off course by striking it by the flat of the blade, the haft, and other non-dangerous areas.

I think a "brawling weapon" should need to be more than a glorified glove/gauntlet (katars, for instance, though they probably should be some kind of "hybrid" weapon) in order to grant parry attempts against non-brawl-type weapons.

Two brawlers being able to deflect each others' unarmed strikes via the parry mechanic does sound neat, though.
The lore compels me!
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

Ah thanks I see what you mean. I just had an image in my head from a book where one of the side characters used a pair of leather gloves with an iron bar inset over the knuckles, and in fights against people with swords or other weapons could parry the blade away using the iron bar. Now that I think back on it more though, I remember thinking that it was pretty unbelieveable at the time...course I have no experience in the mechanics of weapons in that way.
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.

Return to “General Hunting and Combat”