Archery!

Rias
Lore Hermit

Archery!

Post by Rias »

The basics of archery have been completed! Stop by Alanna's Archery Shop in the commons and grab yourself a bow, some arrows and a quiver.

To use a bow, hold the bow in hand and type FIRE [target], or just FIRE by itself to fire at the first hostile NPC in the room, if any are present. The FIRE verb will automatically check for arrows in your hand or in containers you're wearing.

Bows can be fired from the Ranged position, and ranged attacks cannot be outright avoided via combat positions Avoid and Ranged like melee attacks can. However, once an enemy gets close enough to engage you with a melee attack, you will be forced to the Engage position and will not be able to use ranged weapons until you move back to Ranged position.

For convenient handling of arrows, you can BUNDLE like arrows together when in your hands. You can combine both bundles and single arrows together, so long as they're of the same arrow type (of which there is only one at the moment, anyway). To easily gather multiple arrows from the ground, use GATHER [arrow]. If you have a bundle in your hand while using the GATHER verb, the arrows from the ground will be automatically gathered and bundled into the bundle you are holding in your hand.

Please report any bugs via the in-game BUG verb and, if you feel so inclined, you can post about the bug here on the forum as well. Feel free to also post any archery questions, comments or requests here.
The lore compels me!
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

A shortbow has been added to the shop, which can fire more quickly than the longbow and causes less fatigue per shot.

The longbow's damage has been boosted a bit.
The lore compels me!
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Every archer's dream:

[quote=The Game]
get arr
You remove an arrow from the weathered canvas duffle bag you are wearing.

get fire
You remove some firestones from the weathered canvas duffle bag you are wearing.

light arr
You strike some firestones together several times, producing a shower of sparks.
You use some firestones to light an arrow.
Roundtime: 5 second(s).

put fire in bag
You put some firestones in the weathered canvas duffle bag that you are wearing.

remove shortb
You take off an ash shortbow.

fire dumm
(Changing combat position to Ranged)
You nock your burning arrow to your ash shortbow.
You fire a burning arrow at an animated training dummy!
AAR(62): 91 vs TDR(0): 59 = Result: 32
A hit to the right arm for 14 pierce damage!
... and an additional 24 fire damage.
Roundtime: 4 seconds.
[/quote]

This'll be even greater once I code up the "any worn item that's on fire causes fire damage every few seconds" bit.
The lore compels me!
Rithiel

Post by Rithiel »

I think you should also code it so that you can cast fire at an arrow and it lights (which I think you're doing) and also so that somebody else can light your arrow, although you'll have to make it some sort of cooperative verb?
A cheerful jingle intones, "Rithenschmirtz Evil Incorporateeeed!"
[OOC - Candy Mountain, Spearhead]: usually when they're snarky, it's Rithiel
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Some improvements to ammo management:

- You can now specify how many of a bundle you wish to get, i.e. GET 5 ARROWS.
- PUTting ammo into a container that already has a bundle of that same type of ammo will automatically combine it all into a single bundle.

Examples:
l in back quiv
In the back quiver you see a bundle of arrows.

l arrows
You see nothing particularly unusual about the bundle of arrows.
There are 10 arrows in the bundle.

get 5 arrows
You remove 5 arrows from the back quiver you are wearing.

put arrows in back quiv
You add 5 arrows to the bundle of arrows in your back quiver.
The lore compels me!
Icterus

Post by Icterus »

If the command is made sorry for my ignorance. Is there a fire command like the battle command with attacking?
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

There isn't, but there easily could be. I'll add it after work. Any suggestions for which verb to use? Maybe BARRAGE? Or something bland like AUTOFIRE?
The lore compels me!

Return to “General Hunting and Combat”