You can chop down trees in the forest as long as you have a large axe (handaxes just won't cut it).
- Make sure you are in the forest. Then, with a large axe in one hand and nothing in the other, you can fell to chop down a tree.
- You can also use survey to see what tree types are in an area.
- fell type allows you to chop down a certain tree type in an area if more than one type is available.
- It may take a while, but eventually you will chop down a tree. You may then chop tree to remove the branches from said tree.
- Once the tree is naked of branches, you can chop tree again to chop it up into logs.
If you are pulling a handcart during the first chopping stage, the branches will automatically fall into your handcart, assuming there is room in them. Likewise for wagons pulled by your mount.
Some woodland creatures will not appreciate you harming their habitat.
Logs sell for significantly more than branches, although the branches can be used in Woodworking.