Your encumbrance is determined by how much weight your character is carrying and may be checked via the encumbrance command. The levels are, in order of least encumbered to most:
- You feel light and unburdened.
- You're not carrying much at all, and can move about without really feeling much impact from the weight.
- You're not carrying too much, you should be able to move about fairly unburdened.
- You're feeling somewhat burdened by the weight you're carrying
- You're feeling burdened by all the weight you're carrying
- You're definitely feeling the weight of all the stuff you're carrying.
- You feel heavily encumbered by all the weight you're carrying. Better find somewhere to unload.
High encumbrance can have a detrimental affect on many things, including combat and energy use.