There are two different methods of cooking something. The most basic is to take some raw food you have, sticking it in a frying pan or skillet and simply cook it where there is some sort of cooking fire present. You can throw various cooking herbs and spices like rosemary and mint in with the food to flavor it. Some of these herbs can foraged in the wilderness, others must be bought.
The second method is more complicated and lets you make a variety of food types, including pies and stews. The steps are outlined below. You can also roast meat on skewers over a fire.
- You will need to carve a skewer out of a small branch (after removing the bark).
- You can then hold the meat you want to put on the skewer and SKEWER MEAT (a skewer can hold multiple pieces).
- Cook skewer.
- Once the meat is cooked, you can cut it into strips or a filet.
- You will need to purchase a pie pan and pie crust.
- You will need to choose if you are making a fruit pie or a meat pie and have the appropriate ingredients.
- Typically for a fruit pie you need a type of fruit and some other flavor (like cinnamon or walnuts), or two types of fruit. For a meat pie you will need some type of meat, stock, and three vegetables, which may or may not be the same type. If you don't have any stock, water can be substituted if you are in a room with water available.
- You put all the ingredients in the pie tin and cook.
- You will need to purchase a pot.
- There are two types of stew, hearty and basic.
- Hearty stews require stock, some type of meat, and three vegetables. A basic stew requires stock, meat, and pasta.
- You put all the ingredients in the pot and cook.
- You can core tomatoes, squash, apples, and pears.
- Once hollowed-out, you can stuff these with a variety of yummies available in the Tools of the Trade wagon.
- The stuffed items can then be cooked on a skillet.
- You'll need butter, sugar, and flour in the appropriate proportions.
- Put all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix.
- Shape the dough on a table (with a baking sheet) into cookies or sticks.
- Bake the shortbread in an oven.
You can cook multiple chunks of meat or fish at once, based on what fits into your frying pan. This is not the case for the more complicated recipes.
This is an incomplete list of some of the ingredients available to be put in pies and stews:
- Pumpkins, strawberries, blueberries, apples, peaches, emberberries, thornberries, apricots, figs
- Cinnamon, walnuts, rhubarb
- Corn, potatoes, carrots, peas, onions